• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags Great America: General Discussion

Alastair said:
I think you're going a little overboard with the Big One comparisons. Be honest, the layout of that is at least 1000% more exciting than the Big One. Heck, any coaster with more than forceless, triangle hills after the first drop is more exciting than it.

Not really, it was more an example than anything, what exactly looks more exciting about that drop than The Big One? Yet it's claiming steepest/fastest etc etc, yet in reality what happens after it? It goes through a tunnel... check.

It was the only example I could think of where to me, it just looks like a smaller version of it with a couple of inversions, but because it's steel tracked onto a wooden frame it justifies hoopla lol!

I am not saying they're bad, I'd like to ride one, but to me, this one in particular looks like a steel coaster with a wooden frame, so little has it kept of what makes a wooden coaster's character.

Well technically, this is using RMC Topper track isnt it, rather than full I-Beam track, so it will still have laminated track like a woodie, hence why RCDB have this down as a woodie.

This famous picture shows Outlaw Run's inversion along with the wooden laminates.

38e3pua02000ifh255b000.jpg

I havent ridden a topper track woodie, but I have ridden the New Texas Giant which uses the I-Beam track. Personally, I didnt really like it, but maybe I caught it on an off day, or maybe I got caught up in the hype from the enthusiast community.

TheCoasterCritic have posted a photo of the track style being used:
Rocky-Mountain-Construction-Topper-Track.jpg

Clearly the same style as used on outlaw run, but looking at the cross section I'm going to class it as a hybrid - it's hardly got any wood in it at all!

TheMan said:
Alastair said:
I think you're going a little overboard with the Big One comparisons. Be honest, the layout of that is at least 1000% more exciting than the Big One. Heck, any coaster with more than forceless, triangle hills after the first drop is more exciting than it.

Not really, it was more an example than anything, what exactly looks more exciting about that drop than The Big One? Yet it's claiming steepest/fastest etc etc, yet in reality what happens after it? It goes through a tunnel... check.

It was the only example I could think of where to me, it just looks like a smaller version of it with a couple of inversions, but because it's steel tracked onto a wooden frame it justifies hoopla lol!

I am not saying they're bad, I'd like to ride one, but to me, this one in particular looks like a steel coaster with a wooden frame, so little has it kept of what makes a wooden coaster's character.

Yeah, it goes through a tunnel followed by a huge overbanked hill, an airtime hill and then two frankly insane looking inversions. All of the previous make it preferable to the Big One.

Alastair said:
Yeah, it goes through a tunnel followed by a huge overbanked hill, an airtime hill and then two frankly insane looking inversions. All of the previous make it preferable to the Big One.

You're misunderstanding me. Perhaps I am not explaining what I mean. They're going for the same hype PMBO went for, but it's less because it's on a woodie - but as is becoming more clear, there isn't a fat lot of wood in it - which makes it a glorified steel coaster.

Are those inversions that insane for a steel coaster? Is that big drop they're shouting about better than PMBO? The point I was making is, this isn't much different to a ride like PMBO but with wooden supports except steel, and the inversions aren't really worthy of lauding compared to many insane pure steel coasters nowadays. It is a combination comparison to make a point of... what is the point?

Will it be gimmick, or will it really be that good?

The other thing is of course, how much it would cost to make an equivalent steel supported coaster - if this is in fact cheaper, and certainly appears more unique, then in that aspect it does represent great value. However, you don't get the impression these are build and marketed for their "value".

See where I am coming from?

Anyway, like I say, never ridden one, so my comments are purely speculative, and I still would very much like to have a go lol!

Future generations of enthusiasts will look at pictures of these ... things ... long after they are gone, and wonder what on Earth the designers were thinking.

I genuinely think it looks awesome. I can't wait to see the finished product and to ride it :)

The word I think best describes that 90 degree turn is...

Why?

Such a transition makes even Intamin's look drawn out...

At long last, the POV has finally been posted:

This is going to be stunning when it settles in and speeds up!

I have to say, as much as the upside-down hill/roll thing looks pretty cool... I just think it looks really short and a little bit boring! :\

Is that a mounted POV?! That looks incredibly shaky to me. Seems to bounce up and down a lot...

Does seem a bit on the short side but that might be because it looks eye blisteringly fast already! Seems like a pretty solid coaster to me.

The hangtime on those inversions looks insane, especially with the RMC lapbars. Airtime too, and a ridiculous drop. El Toro better watch out for next years Mitch Hawker!

It looks fast and actually decent, but there doesn't seem to be any light and shade to the ride, nothing to build up excitement mid way.

The long upside down bit felt very strange even on a POV though!

Very short, but actually doesn't seem too bad. I would really like to try riding one of these to experience what they're like. Hard to judge from POVs but it seems very smooth camera aside.

Remain to be convinced.