• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Trip Report: Florida 2014 - Part 1+2 - AK and MK

Scott

Former TS Team Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
So, I did a thing. That thing was to fulfil a long-time dream of mine and go to Florida baby! Me and the Mrs went about a month ago now (time bloody flies L) and now is the first real chance I’ve had to sit down and try and document any of it. Some of you may have seen photos on facebook or had me bore you to death with bits and pieces whilst I was there (here’s looking at you, team!) but for the rest – I’ll write about it here instead.

Obviously for the vast majority of the forum, this will mostly be the same old stuff – since many of you have already experienced what Florida has to offer, however I hope this still provides some interest to you… but if it doesn’t, well, I’m not fussed since I’m enjoying documenting all this for myself anyway haha!

------------------------------------

So, I guess I had better start at the very beginning (it’s a very good place to start) and at the hotel at the airport! We flew from Gatwick and stayed the night before at a Travelodge nearby. It was quite an amusing place to stay since the hotel was clearly a more upmarket hotel in the past. The rooms were huge (although decorated like normal TL rooms) and the bathrooms featured dated décor which would have probably classed as semi-premium a decade or two ago… All the same it was a comfortable and reasonable stay with a handy bus shuttle to the terminal door. As for Gatwick itself, we faced no issues and sped through check in and security! We opted to enjoy the Virgin Holidays V-Room, and I think it was worth the small extra payment that it cost. We enjoyed complimentary cooked breakfasts as well as access to video games, newspapers and fantastic views across the runway and taxiways – which is always good for a pre-flight geekout…

As for the flight itself, I was excited for that too! Neither of us had flown long-haul before and as such it was the longest flight that either of us had ever been on… I was impressed by the service that Virgin offered. I’m a big guy (6ft 5) and even though we were in Economy I had just about enough legroom – though stretching out was a bit tricky! In-flight entertainment was top-notch with a great selection of movies, TV shows and music to keep us entertained. Also, a mention needs to be made of the food! Although it was standard airline kinda stuff, it was actually bloody tasty and the free-flowing alcohol is ALWAYS appreciated ;)

Moving on from the boring travelling parts now and on to actual bloody Orlando! We arrived and got on our shuttle to the hotel (we didn’t rent a car and managed perfectly fine without – more on this later) at Walt Disney World! We chose to stay at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, which is the newest of the Disney resort hotels (opening in phases since late 2012) and is classed in their ‘Value’ range. It’s an absolute behemoth of a hotel – containing four blocks themed around animated classics: The Little Mermaid, Lion King, Finding Nemo and Cars and each block would have probably classed itself as a good size hotel anywhere other than Disney!

10521096_10203923944351948_5605912637637005088_n.jpg

The hotel featured three pools – including the single largest on Disney hotel property – as well as the usual food court, pool bar, shop, arcade and other amenities that you would expect. The food court sold an array of foods and all that we tried were good quality and fairly reasonably priced too. I was also impressed by all the staff, but particularly those at reception and concierge who were informative and friendly… So much so in fact that after we checked in, we later found a message on our room phone from the cast member who checked us in stating that if we had any issues at all that we should not hesitate to come back to reception and ask away! A nice touch I thought!

10462719_10203923978992814_154134776671071380_n.jpg

Now after a good sleep it was time to get up and be ready to go for day one: Animal Kingdom

I had high hopes for this park since I love the idea behind it, and it didn’t disappoint. Although I now probably place it last out of the 4 WDW parks, I do so with a heavy heart and not because I dislike it at all – just that I like the others better!

One thing which was slightly off-putting about the park is its current state. There are large construction walls all over the place right now – some for Avatar, but many for all sorts of other reasons. This meant that the whole area surrounding the Tree of Life was closed off and construction walls completely surrounded the lake around the Asia area. Whilst these were actually done in a fairly unobtrusive way – it did detract from the atmosphere slightly in places.

10426814_10203865020758895_7420841176537357640_n.jpg

The first thing we did in AK was catch the Lion King show. I was thoroughly impressed by this and it set the tone for the rest of the trip really. A fun and immersive (due to the theatre layout) show featuring lots of colour, music, lights and talented people. I really liked the dynamic staging and the way the segments flowed fluidly – despite needing constant set changes despite being surrounded by the audience…

Moving on from the Lion King, we wound our way to Kali River Rapids. Obviously these were my first American rapids and thus I was prepared to get a bit more wet than in Britain :p – though I did end up getting absolutely drenched! I loved this ride, and it’s my favourite of the three rapids that we rode. The theming is great and the drop is fun – with wetness depending on whether you go backwards or not. Despite that though it is a bit of a one-trick pony and doesn’t feature a great deal else.

Straight after this we headed for Kilimanjaro Safari – a ride I was really, really excited to experience. For those that haven’t ridden it, this is where Animal Kingdom really comes into its own. The whole experience lasts a good 15 minutes and takes you through a variety of habitats where you can see all kinds of animals. It was a fantastic experience and I was pleased at just how many animals you could see and equally how close they got to the vehicles passing through. It was really a joy and a great experience that blurs the line between theme park and zoo.

10527311_10203924035754233_5476717961693904807_n.jpg

After a spot of lunch (Flame Tree BBQ – yum!) we rode the ride AK is probably most famous for – Expedition Everest. The mountain itself is bloody impressive as it towers in the distance and just gets bigger and bigger as you approach. I also loved the queue – which featured an incredible amount of detail. As for ride experience, I thought it was serious, serious fun… It’s a long ride, and packs a decent amount of punch through its drops and turns – particularly when going backwards. I was impressed also by the ride system and the speed that the transfer tracks engaged and set off too. It’s a definite Disney classic and one of my favourite rides now, just a shame that the disco Yeti can’t move eh!

We also experienced the bizzare area that is Dino-Rama before we left. I appreciate that it is meant to be slightly ironic and does have a fairly detailed backstory, but it just looks plainly crap and completely out of place with the rest of the park. Primeval Whirl as well looks a right mess because of a combination of ride type and the theme… Let’s be honest, when Disney are placing in a type of ride that Pleasurewood Hills owned and sold years ago something is a bit odd… It’s still a fun ride, just something that doesn’t belong where it is.

Fortunately though, the area has Dinosaur to fall upon to give it some class. A top quality Disney dark ride – although it is one that does feel a teeny bit tired in its queue and station area. I didn’t really know what to expect with this one before riding but was pleasantly surprised both with the visual effects used and also the cars movement! It’s definitely a bit of a violent ride – which could be off putting to some- but the layout is very good and the story itself fairly interesting too. Highlights were the really cool dinosaur animatronics of course!

10672304_10203865050479638_1279083863193939174_n.jpg

By this point it was time to call it a day and we went for our dinner reservation at the Rainforest Café – which was equally as much of a fun experience as it was tasty, although the service wasn’t exactly fantastic.

I feel like I’m blabbing on a hell of a lot right now and this has taken quite long enough to type today… so I’ll hopefully carry on and continue this soon with my thoughts on the other Disney Parks as well as Universal, Busch and SeaWorld… See, that’s the trouble with Florida, there is just too damn much to discuss!!

Last edited:
A good start. I agree about the V room, well worth the extra money. We did it when we went on honeymoon and before we used it Carla did not really see the point. I don't like airports so I am happy to do anything to get away from the great unwashed masses that clog up the terminals. After using the V room Carla was very pleased we did it as walking through the really busy terminal makes you enjoy the peace and space once you get in there!

Part 2: Magic Kingdom

Day two of the trip and we decided to go to the park that the Disney purist in me was most excited to visit: the Magic Kingdom.

10696434_10203865063239957_2053546683187416319_n.jpg

From the second you arrive and see the iconic park entrance with the railroad station – you feel the magic exploding from the place. It’s a truly famous park entrance (thanks, Disneyland) and is aided immensely from the fact that all the mess of ticketing and such is way across the lake, a monorail ride away. This leaves just the bag check tables and a nice line of Mickey ear entry points – keeping the view unobscured.

Upon entering and walking down Main Street you get “that” view. The perfect shot of the street, framing the castle at the end of it… Except of course, “that” view was partially disturbed by the fact that a large crane was surrounding the castle to place the Christmas lights upon it! Main Street itself was dressed in orange bunting, with Micky Pumpkins and Halloween scarecrows dotted around which added to the atmosphere, though without giving too much away (classic Disney ‘buy a ticket to Mickey’s not-so-scary Halloween party tactics). A mention needs to be made on the works currently going on at the ‘hub’ of the park too. Although necessary as the park can get very crowded, it certainly leaves such a vital artery of the park in a bit of a state and can make navigation difficult – particularly during parades or whilst exiting the park after fireworks. However, I’m sure it will be a massive improvement once finished.

Moving on from this, we started the day in Adventureland – which is beautifully themed and this is set up from the classic walkthrough of the Swiss Family Treehouse. A classic attraction, it’s a nice long experience and also provides some great views back across to the castle.

1958576_10203865071080153_5223141452308618869_n.jpg

Straight after this, we rode Pirates of the Caribbean – which has a much more underwhelming façade compared to its Parisian cousin, and the same can also be said for its queue and station. The ride itself is a delight though – yet another classic Disney dark ride. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the sight of the giant ship coming towards as you speed down the drop is beautiful – particularly given the size of that showroom and the fact that you cannot distinguish where the walls and ceiling meet! Overall though, I think I prefer the Paris version of the ride… I think I enjoy the Paris layout more and prefer the ride in its more untouched form – without Johnny Depp popping up everywhere.

Moving on from Pirates, we rode another Disney classic: Jungle Cruise. I knew bits and pieces about this ride but not really what it entailed and I was pleasantly surprised by both the length of the attraction as well as the cast members involved. The ride takes you on a long boat tour through the jungle, seeing animatronic animals, waterfalls and various other elements as you drift by. The highlight though has to be the pun-filled commentary that was dryly fired off by the boats skipper, one after another after another… It’s old-school Disney at its best.

10686760_10203865077400311_7111827756762947131_n.jpg

We then headed across park to Tomorrowland – which is really stunning in my opinion. I love the retro-futuristic theme, and walking into the area it feels so busy and bustling with attractions lining the entry ‘street’ on either side. There’s a lot of things to do in this area so I’ll list them with my thoughts below:

Space Mountain: An obvious classic, this ride is famous across the globe. Having only experienced the intense Parisian cousin of this, I was excited to see what this version had to offer. I must say (and I may get shouted at for this) that I wasn’t particularly enamoured by the ride at all to be honest. It’s certainly a fun experience, and it’s definitely different to experience a coaster sitting in a line of three, one behind the other. However, it just seemed like a bit of an out of control, slightly violent mess. Fun yes, but did it make me want to ride it over and over and over? Nope.

Buzz Lightyear: A ride used in different forms across many Disney resorts so it’s pretty similar wherever you go. It’s looking pretty tired in places and the tech is fairly outdated now too. Could definitely do with some light-up feedback to help you know if you have hit a target, but still remains immensely popular and is a fun ride provided you like dark ride shooters.

Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor: This is a large scale show using live voiceover to create a really funny and individual experience. Similar to Stitch Live at Disneyland Paris it picks on audience members and uses hidden impressionists to make it seem as though the Monster characters are genuinely there. A very funny show and one not to miss.

Stitch’s Great Escape: This was a ride that has been modified from its original experience because it was ‘too scary’. I don’t know what it was like before but right now it is bloody awful. There’s a lot of nothing going on in the dark and then suddenly Stitch appears and well, that’s pretty much it. I enjoy Sub Terra more. That says a lot.

PeopleMover: Another old-school Disney classic. It’s an enjoyable tour of the area and never has a queue which makes it a great break ride. Plus it went through Space Mountain when it broke down so I could get a geek shot:

10687038_10203923991633130_1593646749588121887_n.jpg

Carousel of Progress: The ‘longest-running stage show ever’ is a 30-minute tour through the past, present and future and is particularly charming since it was an actual idea that Walt Disney himself had. Sitting in a theatre that actually moves around a centre stage is somewhat of a stroke of genius and the show itself is a bit bizarre but charming and fun.

Speedway: It’s giant and bloody loud, and takes up huge swathes of space – but it’s also a ride that winds itself into most Disney parks in some form or another. Not a lot to say about this really – you drive a petrol car around a track and that’s about it.

--------------

After some time here we caught the new for 2014 Festival of Fantasy Parade. It’s based around characters situated in and around in Fantasyland and New Fantasyland and as such featured snippets from Frozen, Snow White, Peter Pan, Brave and more. It’s an absolute delight provided you enjoy these kinds of things. The floats are huge – particularly the giant fire-breathing dragon – and the musical soundtrack is great, which features a common chorus which adapts its style depending on what float is going past at the time. It’s the most enjoyable parade I’ve watched and one of my favourite pieces of entertainment of the whole holiday.

10690126_10203865162482438_2523000738447228081_n.jpg

Part 2 Continued:

During the rest of the day we explored some elements of New Fantasyland before catching the Electrical Parade and Wishes. New Fantasyland integrates seamlessly into the rest of the park and looks as though it could have been there from opening – which is a huge compliment. The Seven Dwarfs coaster sits majestically in the centre of the area and equally is very aesthetically pleasing. Whilst we didn’t ride it today, it is great to watch. We also sampled LeFou’s Brew which is the ‘star’ drink of the area. It’s bloody tasty too and has a very sweet, marshmallow type flavour.

It’s a Small World: Similar to PotC, the façade to the ride isn’t as dramatic as in Paris but inside it is very similar. It’s fun, if a bit rough around the edges (love them ceilings!) and the song is an irritant too… However, it is a classic and must be experienced!

Winnie the Pooh: Another Disney dark ride, this uses small cars which take you on a moderate-lengthed journey through the stories of Winnie the Pooh. It has a great queueline for kids which features interactive play zones and screens to keep them entertained whilst waiting – which is definitely something the world needs more of! The ride itself was good fun, and is a welcome break from a world of 3D glasses and screens since it relies a lot on old-school dark ride effects.

The Little Mermaid: This is a bit of a hidden gem in my opinion. I didn’t expect a lot from the ride but it’s actually a very long Omnimover which takes you through the story of the Little Mermaid. There’s hundreds of great animatronics and it’s a fun romp through the film.

-------------------------------

10455119_10203865192483188_2007222362696743934_n.jpg

By this point it was getting dark so we picked our spot for the Electrical Parade. Not much to say on this, but it is a good show. The floats are certainly quite a spectacle to see drift by and as always it is of a good length. After this we stuck around for Celebrate the Magic and Wishes.

Celebrate the Magic is like a cut-down version of Disney Dreams in Paris and serves as the warm up to the Wishes fireworks. It is a good show and uses some great projection mapping on the castle to bring the show to life – thoroughly enjoyed this.

Wishes was a bit hit and miss for me though. The soundtrack was up and down in places, although the fireworks were great, and in the end I definitely thought it was great. Having said this though, I didn’t find it that memorable and looking back I can’t actually remember much of it!

-------------------------------------

Once again I’ve written about 100000x more than I meant to, so will save the next part for another time… I’ll try and be a bit more concise when I write about Hollywood Studios :p