• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The "Look What I Made!" Topic.

My new LED project has been in for a few months now and is working pretty well. I’ve installed three strips that automatically light up in the direction the person is walking in. It also has themed days that auto activate when it gets dark and plays all evening in certain dates.

With this build I sourced a Dig-Quad to control the LEDs, a 12v PSU for the LEDs, a 5V PSU for the controller, a relay for the 12V PSU, in line 5 amp fuses for each LED strip, super bright WS2811 LEDs, Arc LED deep profiles with diffuser, enclosure for everything and a fan to keep the enclosure cool in the summer with mesh in front to stop spiders crawling in.

The two sensors I use is a Phillips Hue outdoor Zigbee motion sensor, which I’ve adapted to power from the mains instead of batteries. I then have a zigbee contact sensor on the front door. If the door sensor activates first it knows I’m leaving. If the motion sensor activates first it knows I’m arriving. The hue sensor can also see the lux level.

All the above data from the sensors and LED controller goes into Home Assistant and Node-RED to ensure the right effect is run when it’s dark enough to need it. It also does a daily check when the sun sets to determine if it is a themed day. It also integrates with the doorbell I've built. Here are a few pics and videos of the setup and with everything in place

44e5cc1f2f0df11a33b0618f3cbc11f4.jpg
1e1dfdfff389cbdaade79e40de0d8861.jpg
03ac02a0720df34f1776abcd629a4991.jpg
73a4968605abf3b0a964386256b9204b.jpg

And here is the themed day effects. Just a note the colours don't come out very well on camera. They are a lot clearer in real life

Last edited:
At our railway, here's something I've been helping with making and that is laying track running alongside a newly relaid Levenmouth line...very satisfying thing laying track, a real sense of achievement that makes you feel good.
1000014644.jpg

As a good gardener, I'm drooling over those sleepers!
All from different parts of Scotland though funnily enough most of the newer sleepers are from the old Leven line over on the left of the picture in which they would be replaced as the track has been relaid with the newer concrete sleepers.

So it is funny that the old track has literally moved just a few meters to the right instead of being sent elsewhere to the other side of the country like other sleeper situations.

But all seriousness, we do have some sleepers not fit for purpose so if you DM me nicely, I could get a contact to have some sleepers delivered at a price. ;)

Sadly, my days of juggling old sleepers are (just) over.
I did landscaping of a failed retaining wall recently, lovely job, most creative, but done on a thurs/fri, so I could have a whole weekend to recover.
Needed another week!