• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2024 Discussion

Another of those days where the crowds just haven't really materialised

Big one operating one train, with the second car out of use. Queue is halfway down the ramp

No queue for Valhalla, even in this heat

The entrance arcade is back open, it looks broadly the same in terms of machines but I couldn't tell you what was in there before. It looks a lot less like it was abandoned in the 90s

No major developments but a few minor elements of the park have been maintained (and many more which arguably need to be).

The water under infusion has been drained most of the way down, unknown what for as there's no clues, but I did wonder if it's to remove the scaffold under big one

Big one operating one train, with the second car out of use. Queue is halfway down the ramp

No queue for Valhalla, even in this heat

The entrance arcade is back open, it looks broadly the same in terms of machines but I couldn't tell you what was in there before. It looks a lot less like it was abandoned in the 90s

No major developments but a few minor elements of the park have been maintained (and many more which arguably need to be).

The water under infusion has been drained most of the way down, unknown what for as there's no clues, but I did wonder if it's to remove the scaffold under big one
Infusion does look a mess now with the water half drained and no effects. The fact it liked good was it’s only saving grace! Big one is hardly ever on two trains now, not sure if this is cost cutting or if the second train is broken. Shame when this used to consistently run three trains back in the day

Used to run three trains, with one behind the station, one in the station, and one going round the track.
There was virtually no difference in throughput between two and three, just how long you sat outside in the rain...like oblivion, but often longer.
The promenade again today has been very busy, the Beach had five/ten minute queues.

Believing what I say is entirely optional, but as others on here could bear witness...(come on Ash where are you)...the Beach often stayed open on Illumination weekends, well past midnight, because they still had plenty of punters on the park, in Beery Blackpool, after the pubs shut at eleven, who were still happy to pay real hard cash on the rides.
Saturday nights in September, the park would often shut around 1am.
The smaller rides shut, the main woodies stayed open until the last paying customers had run out of money.
But you believe what you like my friend.
The Beach often shut with the Illuminations...one in the morning.
Hi
Decided to create an account to back Rob up with this claim, yes it's very true, the Pleasure Beach would often stay open gone midnight back in the 70's & early 80's. I remember one particular night, being a little boy, I was soooo tired from the walking and crowds, that I asked my Dad to carry me, at which point I grabbed his wrist and asked him the time, and I always remember 'quarter past twelve' - at night of course. Also I have memories of being carried home from the park and the Blackpool Tower lights being off, and asking my Mum where the Tower had gone, and the Tower lights switched off at midnight.

It was a whole different time back then, as long as people were in the park it would stay open, because it was money per ride.

There were two topics I thought to post this in, but I posted last in both topics, so I was in for a good whipping anyway, so what the hell, it fits better in here.

As Chelsea comes up, I usually reset my summer irrigation system in a new and interesting fashion.
This years special, has taken some days to get in full balance, but is now running just about perfectly.

Levels of thoosie...

The loft water tank has a slow leak to overflow, so a hosepipe comes off the balcony, hidden (nearly) in the ivy, and drips off an inverted ladle, onto a rusty old hanging chain...(like the Blackpool dodgems drainpipes).
It then slowly drips off an old Beach Arena sign, (de skipped when Infusion went in, during the winter storms).
The sign splits the water flow, which divides along the remains of the old National winning post (ning post) top, (de skipped after the last fire)...which has been redone in new flashing with bamboo raised edges.
One side falls into an old shallow Belfast sink, used as a footbath for my wankle, and plantpot soaking,
The other side drips into a typical old half barrel, for quick watering can filling.
Underneath I have the south beach...pebble store one side, sand the other, work stock at home.
Lovely stuff.

And this year, I promise I will get dippy or shakey to stop by and take a decent photograph for a change.
'cos we all know, if you ain't got a picture, it just didn't happen.
Bribe 'em with a lump of metal, my mouse wheels are breeding.

Proper thoosie, but still a basic service user.
I weep for Crevettes.
As well as the Reel.

Last edited:
BPB have sent out an email regarding the Grand Prix event. It has a little more detail than the original ad, and makes no mention of the 'grid girls' they were absolutely rinsed for

With only three weeks to go until we wave goodbye to our beloved Grand Prix ride, we’ve given her a fresh look and she’s officially party ready.

Here’s what you can expect on the night:

• 3 hours of exclusive ride time on Grand Prix and ICON
  • Photo opportunities including a 360 camera
  • Complimentary glass of prosecco and nibbles
  • Live entertainment including bands, dancers and DJ
  • Line-up of supercars
  • Spectacular Dancing Water Show
  • A certificate to commemorate the final lap

For the avoidance of any doubt, this appears to have been sent to all - I certainly haven't booked onto it!

Was in the park on Saturday & for an hour on Sunday and the crowds weren't what you'd expect on a sunny weekend. The Big One was on two trains on Saturday, but didn't send the first train until noon.

Hi
Decided to create an account to back Rob up with this claim, yes it's very true, the Pleasure Beach would often stay open gone midnight back in the 70's & early 80's. I remember one particular night, being a little boy, I was soooo tired from the walking and crowds, that I asked my Dad to carry me, at which point I grabbed his wrist and asked him the time, and I always remember 'quarter past twelve' - at night of course. Also I have memories of being carried home from the park and the Blackpool Tower lights being off, and asking my Mum where the Tower had gone, and the Tower lights switched off at midnight.

It was a whole different time back then, as long as people were in the park it would stay open, because it was money per ride.

As someone who worked at the park in.the mid to late 90s I can also confirm that the park used to open gone midnight although I believe they had a fine for every 15 minutes they were open past midnight so charge hands for each ride would have to report on current passenger numbers and queue lengths to determine if the income was bigger than the fine.

In fact during the 6 weeks holidays it was common to start your shift without knowing what time you would get home and sometimes the only way you knew the park was going to close was when you heard Tina Turner simply the best play over kit kat radio. Then the bye bye tune would close to empty the park of customers.

The tune went

Bye bye, Bye bye its been really nice to see you but its time to say goodbye.
Then repeat fir 3 minutes

As someone who worked at the park in.the mid to late 90s I can also confirm that the park used to open gone midnight although I believe they had a fine for every 15 minutes they were open past midnight so charge hands for each ride would have to report on current passenger numbers and queue lengths to determine if the income was bigger than the fine.

In fact during the 6 weeks holidays it was common to start your shift without knowing what time you would get home and sometimes the only way you knew the park was going to close was when you heard Tina Turner simply the best play over kit kat radio. Then the bye bye tune would close to empty the park of customers.

The tune went

Bye bye, Bye bye its been really nice to see you but its time to say goodbye.
Then repeat fir 3 minutes
That's the one! 😂 Remember walking out with that ringing in my ears. The place used to have a real buzz back then, 90s Pleasurebeech was peak.

I think one of the problems with the park, is the management trying to distance itself from Blackpool, when it should be embracing it full on. I've not been to the town since '94, but I watch videos, and the infrastructure of Blackpool is set up to absolutely thrive once again.

Blackpool is Blackpool, for all it's faults it's still an amazing place, 3 piers, an iconic tower, illuminations, large sandy beaches, vintage & modern trams and of course the park, and there's plenty of investment still being pumped into the town.

I think it being a 'family run' park has become a millstone around its neck.

On a side note, just alittle thing that bugged me from a design perspective, is they took the large Indian totem pole that had been in the park for years, painted it red and stuck it in the middle of Icon, which is Japanese themed, ...bizarre, but I guess very Blackpool!

I think one of the problems with the park, is the management trying to distance itself from Blackpool, when it should be embracing it full on. I've not been to the town since '94, but I watch videos, and the infrastructure of Blackpool is set up to absolutely thrive once again.
I can only guess you don't live within fifty miles of the place.
Nearly all my local punters would not be seen dead there.
They see it as a seedy, drug infested place, full of homeless conmen, and chipped old concrete that smells of wee...where poor people go to die ten years before the rest of the population...today's news on the BBC.
They have either never been, or last visited on a church outing to the illuminations years ago.
The place is very poor, one street back from the prom and you can see the poverty first hand, many old b&b's derelict or becoming doss houses of very small bedsits.
Blackpool has a deeply engrained vision of poverty, dereliction, pink sugar willies, and deprivation.

It is hardly surprising that the Beach distances itself from the town.
The fact you haven't visited in thirty years yourself speaks volumes!

Blackpool was pretty rough back in the 90s but the desimation of the high streets and gradual decline in the hotel / B&B industry has made things worse. The council also allowed far to many HMOs to pop up and attracted unsavoury characters.

That said there is still.plenty to do in Blackpool and it's certainly not boring. Pleasurebeech would do well to look at Pleasurebeech Great Yarmouth and how they operate. Great Yarmouth has many of the same issues as Blackpool but the park does well and has steady investment.