• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Alton Towers Enchanted Village

Re: Resort Lodge Development

James said:
I disagree slightly. You can still get peace and quiet and also have entertainment. Just like any other camp site type accommodation. I bet if this is built we will see a foot flow of guests going to the hotels for entertainment.

Maybe I'm wrong and it will work just fine. I just think for a place like Towers people expect more.

I think this will be mainly if there is wet weather, if the weather is good I think people will be outside and hopefully AT will set up outdoor games too.

PeteB said:
Bit disappointed to be honest. The location they've chosen was going to be for the 3rd hotel which I've always found to be more exciting than log cabins. The first set of plans looked badly put together, this looks even worse.

Don't get how they are badly put together, they are well themed, well proportioned and look interesting. I think any 3rd hotel would have more flexability as to it's location as you can fit more into a smaller space. So if they want a 3rd hotel they will find space for it.

The only thing i think this is missing is a bar.

Dave said:
Don't get how they are badly put together, they are well themed, well proportioned and look interesting. I think any 3rd hotel would have more flexability as to it's location as you can fit more into a smaller space. So if they want a 3rd hotel they will find space for it.
Surely a third hotel could be build on the space to the top left of the lodges.

It's good that this has a restaurant, and with the lodge type idea they are probably hoping people will make their own entertainment in large groups within the lodges themselves. However, the fact the shop has been cut is disappointing and the lack of a bar or any entertainment space is also a kicker.

We know how strained the current hotels are in terms of bar/ents space - this will pile pressure further no doubt.

upe7u6aj.jpg

The layout looks pretty good even thought I would proffer another hotel instead of the lodges, I would think it's going to be like David crochet at DLP

But it should look good when it's finish and it's an investment at the end of day so can't moan

Well I am glad that these plans have resurfaced, but I must say I am disappointed with the revised plans and actually think it's a bad move locating it next to the existing hotels.

Firstly, the only real facility serving this lodge development will be a single restaurant - no bar, shop or anything else. Plus, as it will now be located right next door to the existing hotels the lack of catering and entertainment areas in the lodge development will inevitably create more pressure on the facilities at ATH and SLH - which we know can barely cope as it is.

Cutting the size of the development also means that demand for the lodges will exceed supply for most of the year resulting in high prices for stays, and by building on that field it means there is almost no chance of us seeing a third hotel in the future (they are unlikely to get planning permission to build anywhere else).

I am glad to see that they intend to expand the spa because this is something which has long been needed. However the revised lodge development is not particularly inspired in my opinion. Of course i'll be glad to see something rather than nothing, but after over decade of no resort expansion I would expect better from a leading theme park.

:)

They had to move the location of the lodges, I think they realised that they weren't going to get planning permission for the original location.

I feel that it is essential that an entertainments complex is planned to open soon after these lodges. There is going to be extra strain on the restaurants and bars in Splash and ATH because of the lodges, particularly on the bars. As has been pointed out, these struggle to cope at peak times as it is. Unfortunately I can't see an entertainments complex until around 2019/20 at the earliest.

I'm with rob, in that an entertainment complex should be happening sooner rather than later. Merlin must realise this will be a big money spinner and a huge investment opportunity. It will truly turn the 'park & hotel' into a resort. I think the lodges are a step in the right direction for sure. A new restaurant would be a welcome addition regardless.

Onto the bar/pub conversation, could they just not offer the space to an already established bar chain. Spoons/Lloyd's springs to mind, they would make a killing, towers would take x amount of profit with zero effort or outlay. The chain would even provide the building no doubt or if towers built the complex they could rent out the spaces as would any commercial property company. I could see many firms being interested in occupying the spaces. Maybe one old style bar, one modern bar, one cinema, one eatery, one bowling alley, I pool 'club' - getting a bit carried away and ambitious, but one can wish ay. It would really open a new door with regards to overnight guests. Of course, more accommodation would be needed still. Maybe build it in stages like is hinted at with the new plans.

Yeah I think the new location is the only place they can get planning permission due to noise issues with the JCB test facility.

The previous application had no bar but the restaurant is bigger in the new plans which is good. The tree houses seem better that the hobbit holes which is a bonus. Still think they need a bar there to take demand off the hotels.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
...and by building on that field it means there is almost no chance of us seeing a third hotel in the future (they are unlikely to get planning permission to build anywhere else).

I agree with your other points apart from this. Your comment implies that when these lodges are built then that's it for on-site accommodation. While originally a third hotel was planned to be built next to ATH there's no certainty that a third hotel is now off the drawing board.

The main issue with the lodges is that a lot of noise can be created from the play areas and people being open to the outdoors. A lot of guests can be out and about walking around the complex. With hotels noise can be restrained inside one building - therefore it is a little more appealing to planners. As long as a third hotel is justified and does not make any visual impact from outside the park then I would say it's very likely we will see it happen one day!

Rob said:
They had to move the location of the lodges, I think they realised that they weren't going to get planning permission for the original location.

I feel that it is essential that an entertainments complex is planned to open soon after these lodges. There is going to be extra strain on the restaurants and bars in Splash and ATH because of the lodges, particularly on the bars. As has been pointed out, these struggle to cope at peak times as it is. Unfortunately I can't see an entertainments complex until around 2019/20 at the earliest.

I don't think there will be a huge extra strain on the existing bars, as there is a huge focus in outdoors for the lodges, with terraces and play areas. The restaurant plan does show a small separate area to the right that could end up as a bar area. Many guests may bring drinks or things with them and sit outside their lodges.

Also this plan http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=60887 shows a revised spa and the AT hotel extension that they looked into a few years back so more traditional hotel rooms may get built in the future.

But the current bars are already under huge strain, new accommodation (even with a percentage taking their own drinks) will most certainly increase foot-flow into the current bars.

That is exactly where a Downtown Disney style are would come in nicely, have bars and more restaurants, sort of like what Thorpe offer with Port Atlantis, but maybe more original and realistic.

I'm not convinced they will have (or should have) a completely separate entertainment complex, only Disney really do it. What they need to do is ensure that across the resort there is enough to do at night and offer slightly different options in each hotel/ camp thingie.

I think they would need an extension to the lodges and a third hotel to warrant any type of entertainments complex. Plus the theme park extended to more areas. It's a good idea on paper although Alton Towers isn't quite the size to have the foot flow of guests for it.

They really lack anything to do at night at the moment. They could do with a kids club (used to be one in the 90s that was fairly popular), Waterpark open in the evenings (not hard to do now - missed opportunity), new large-scale ents venue (using conference centre currently, not ideal really - new venue should have happened with the lodges, but nevermind) and an expansion on current evening entertainment in both hotels.

Alton Towers Hotel and Splash Landings Hotel suffer greatly during peak times and it can often get very unbearable in both hotels. They need a lot more going on to ease guests around several parts of the resort! More variety of entertainment too. It's been, what, over 10 years of just singers? Hardly improving things. The only improvement of recent years is the band and even they have been recently sacked. Ents is really arse backwards in the hotels!

^ and that's a particularly sad point considering Ents is having somewhat of a revival on park!

I actually liked the idea of the Hobbit Holes over the tree houses but I guess I'll reserve judgement until I see them in person (if the application gets approved, of course). I just liked the idea of a Lord of the Rings style room! :p

Glad to see the inclusion of a restaurant too. It's much needed and should take *some* strain off the hotels with lodge guests. For all we know, it could include a separate bar section too.

If this is successful, does anyone reckon that it's possible for them to expand the lodges in a future year with the Hobbit Holes and other types of accommodation?

Whilst some may not see it as a full blown step, it's undeniably a shuffle in the right direction. Whilst the lack of an ents/bar premises is a tad disappointing, who's to say that we won't see a 'pop-up' alfresco bar and some open air theatre during the summer months? Almost as a case and point to Merlin that the demand is there and the budget should be granted.

They have a really great opportunity with these lodges, whilst they may not have the off season conference appeal of the two existing hotels, I can see high demand at Christmas if they're decorated accordingly.

In terms of the entertainments complex, the long term development plan clearly states the desire for one. It mentions it numerous times and in relation to creating an a fully intergrated resort:

Alton Towers Long Term Plan said:
In the second phase of the Long Term Plan the connection between the existing hotel area and the Theme Park would be reinforced with indoor and outdoor attractions. This would enable the development of a fully integrated Resort attraction.

Obviously this doesn't mean that it is going to happen, things stated to happen in the first phase of the LTP have't actually happened. And if/when it does happen it might not quite be in the form we imagine. The plan calls it an entertainments area and not a complex. It may well just feature some smaller rides/attractions and a couple of eateries. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the midway brands is used as one of the attractions and that could work quite well.

Cakey said:
Whilst some may not see it as a full blown step, it's undeniably a shuffle in the right direction. Whilst the lack of an ents/bar premises is a tad disappointing, who's to say that we won't see a 'pop-up' alfresco bar and some open air theatre during the summer months? Almost as a case and point to Merlin that the demand is there and the budget should be granted.

They have a really great opportunity with these lodges, whilst they may not have the off season conference appeal of the two existing hotels, I can see high demand at Christmas if they're decorated accordingly.

Warwick Castle have had some success with their campsite where they are offering medieval themed outdoor entertainment such as archery at the campsite. Some of this sort of thing would be great in the summer. Maybe they could even set up a campfire for the fireworks period.