• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure

As much as I like Alton Towers, for there to be not one single kiddie coaster is incredible. For a park as large as Alton Towers, there should be at least two kiddie coasters, maybe even three.. At least !!! People on here moan about Flamingoland and the amount / quality of rides but hell they cater for their market well. Lots of kiddie coasters which the kids love. I will re-iterate it, for Alton Towers in 2014 to have no kiddie coaster is a crime.

Obviously my opinion, but families are already separated at Alton, put another kiddie coaster in X-Sector along with a playground. Job done. A couple of family friendly rides in Forbidden Sector... Job done..

Get families together.... Not that I have a family by the way, it will just work... ;)

Even better would be proper family rides that everyone can enjoy together rather than squeezing into a tiny car or watching from the side.

Unfortunately although this was Walt Disneys original idea with Disneyland, even the Disney parks are now getting split to kiddie and thrill.

Yeah the balance around the park is pretty poor. Xsector, Forbidden Valley and Dark Forest all have rides for adults, but nowt for kids.

Kids coaster on a concrete base...?

l4m8b71oikq0teg001ejgl.jpg

I pray not but I reckon it will be one of those.

:)

It will be disappointing to say the least. The UKs premier theme park, operated by a company "second to Disney", building a catalogue kids coaster on a flat concrete base with a tiny footprint. Sure the kids will love it and all that although it's pretty embarrassing from such a big theme park and one that has thrived on being unique since the 80s/90s.

I just hope the theming can save it. Ideally I hope they cover up the concrete base but I doubt they will go that far. It'll be the kids version of The Smiler. Fun but ultimately ugly if you look beneath your feet.

It will be disappointing to say the least. The UKs premier theme park, operated by a company "second to Disney", building a catalogue kids coaster on a flat concrete base with a tiny footprint. Sure the kids will love it and all that although it's pretty embarrassing from such a big theme park and one that has thrived on being unique since the 80s/90s.

I just hope the theming can save it. Ideally I hope they cover up the concrete base but I doubt they will go that far. It'll be the kids version of The Smiler. Fun but ultimately ugly if you look beneath your feet.

Yep. Another case of Mediocrity Towers no doubt.

Why do people insist that kids wont know the difference between a less thrilling and more thrilling coaster?

Beginning to actually irritate me now.

You think as a kid, even one that didn't like coasters, I didn't recognise the difference between a quality ride I liked and one I didn't?

That I couldn't tell the difference between the Superdragon, Zipper Dipper, and a Caterpillar? (Be quiet... weren't that many choices lol!)

Kids are even more savvy nowadays. Let's stop saying "it's just a kiddie ride they'll love it anyway".

Guess what?

NOT TRUE.

It will be disappointing to say the least. The UKs premier theme park, operated by a company "second to Disney", building a catalogue kids coaster on a flat concrete base with a tiny footprint. Sure the kids will love it and all that although it's pretty embarrassing from such a big theme park and one that has thrived on being unique since the 80s/90s

The thing is though, even Disney buy catalogue kids coasters with a tiny footprint. Of course the big difference is that they theme it well.

All the big chains install cheap kiddie coasters, Six Flags, Sea World Parks, Cedar Fair etc etc. Its a small investment to support the larger attractions. Without sounding like an ar*e, what is the point of spending additional money on a custom designed kiddie coaster when you can buy an off the shelf tried and tested model for a lot less. The result will be the same, kids will love it. :)

I have seen kids come off the Kiddie Koasta at Adventure Island and run back round for another go and that's not really the best ride out there. Same with some coasters at Gullivers and even at Bottons Pleasure Beach.

Of course there are different manufacturers which supply these off the shelf rides and it will be interesting to ultimately see who Alton go for (if it is actually a coaster). Personally I don't really mind, if it ticks the box and gets them that all important first kiddie coaster then so be it.

I'm not suggesting you spend a fortune on a bespoke model, indeed off the shelf models are indeed fine I'm sure, what I'm saying is the quality of that off the shelf ride, the thrills it delivers etc, WILL be noticed by both parents and kids alike.

OK maybe not the super young ones, but a good ride is a good ride.

Otherwise, have you seen the reviews for Troublesome Trucks for example?

I wish people would give the GP a bit more credit, just because we tend to know who makes the better rides etc doesn't mean no one NOTICES that they're better.

Let's not forget, parents will be riding this as well.

The Zamperla model is adequate in terms of "thrill". This ride is for 4 year olds.

However it is the build quality that is inherently poor in their coaster products.

The Zamperla model is adequate in terms of "thrill". This ride is for 4 year olds.

However it is the build quality that is inherently poor in their coaster products.

In what way? I can't pretend to pay too much attention to this area.

The thing is though, even Disney buy catalogue kids coasters with a tiny footprint. Of course the big difference is that they theme it well.

All the big chains install cheap kiddie coasters, Six Flags, Sea World Parks, Cedar Fair etc etc. Its a small investment to support the larger attractions. Without sounding like an ar*e, what is the point of spending additional money on a custom designed kiddie coaster when you can buy an off the shelf tried and tested model for a lot less. The result will be the same, kids will love it. :)

I have seen kids come off the Kiddie Koasta at Adventure Island and run back round for another go and that's not really the best ride out there. Same with some coasters at Gullivers and even at Bottons Pleasure Beach.

Of course there are different manufacturers which supply these off the shelf rides and it will be interesting to ultimately see who Alton go for (if it is actually a coaster). Personally I don't really mind, if it ticks the box and gets them that all important first kiddie coaster then so be it.

Oh yes I agree kids will love it. That's the main thing at the end of the day.

The price isn't really an issue and not an issue I have. Alton Towers have paid for cheap hardware before that has performed just fine. The theme park comparison isn't that relevant here since my opinions are based off the way Alton Towers has built itself up since the late 80s.

This is Alton Towers, arguably one of the most unique theme parks you can find. I'm sure most of us expect a little more from them. If rumours are true this will be a very standard affair. Standard isn't something really expected from Alton Towers. The theming will be the only thing that makes a standard coaster into an immersive attraction.

Did anyone see Six Flags Magic Mountain's newest installation last year? Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers? Doubt many heard about it.

SFMM_BBWOpening_02.jpg

SFMM_TR_20140609_07.jpg

Yeah. Surely this couldn't be worse than that?

Did anyone see Six Flags Magic Mountain's newest installation last year? Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers? Doubt many heard about it.

SFMM_BBWOpening_02.jpg

SFMM_TR_20140609_07.jpg

Yeah. Surely this couldn't be worse than that?
It''ll be that just with a massive CBeebies blob where those cacti are.

Nah, only joking, it'll be a bust of Varney looking smug with money in his eyes.

Something like that would be alright. Still a chance they'll plonk down a coaster on the concrete and the only theming will be the entrance. But I think BBC will make sure it has some decent theming.

In the late days of AA they installed a couple of Zamperla rides, just like the one above (could be that ride actually) and it is a cheap install

I'd like to see a ride like the one at Bottons, Queen Bee, looks decent (like Nemmy) and could be themed well

I'll take your inverted Big Apple, and raise you a Vekoma SFC. They are great all round family rides. If built in the Valley, it could even be themed as one of Nemesis' babies that hatched from the eggs in Sub Ter.....

.... WHAT AM I SAYING? THEY MUST NEVER BE ALLOWED TO DO THAT!