• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Unlike this forum's favourite ride Nemesis which lasts practically the same?

In fact I just checked the length with some YouTube videos and it's around 45 seconds from the moment it descends from the lift hill (the point these Hyperia promotional videos start) until the break run begins, so it's exactly the same.
That's fair.

I must admit (and I know this is probably a cardinal sin around these parts) I don't tend to compare coaster in that way. I find the whole comparison game to be a bit futile and tend to enjoy coasters on their own merit. So maybe Hyperia will pleasantly surprise me, it just feels so far like the promo for Hyperia is quite jarring with how its tallest USP seems out of place on what is quite a short ride.

But then I suppose that was more or less the same with Stealth, which is a reasonable ride, if a bit forgettable.

I think the biggest reason behind the "it's too short" is that when you've got a hyper coaster you expect a decent amount of track following to "use up" the potential energy, rather than 45 seconds then slam into brakes. So I do think it looks short, but it also looks like it'll be very good. I can't wait to have a go.

And Stealth Rita Nemesis Oblivion aren’t? A ride can still be good even with a short duration
Yes they are. None of them are 236ft tall, none of them are trimmed, and with the exception of Stealth, none of them will hit the final brakes with as much unused speed. You could also have used The Swarm as well.

What there is of this looks excellent. I love Sirloin steak, but I wouldn't order the 4oz one.
Unlike this forum's favourite ride Nemesis which lasts practically the same?

In fact I just checked the length with some YouTube videos and it's around 45 seconds from the moment it descends from the lift hill (the point these Hyperia promotional videos start) until the break run begins, so it's exactly the same.
Not mine. And Nemesis is also a little on the short side. It's also less than half the height, makes good use of all of its speed, and lays no claim to be "The UK's tallest and fastest".

No matter which way you look at it, this is very short for it's height and speed. Doesn't mean what's there isn't going to be good stuff delivered, but it seems like it'll slam into those brakes just as you were starting to enjoy yourself.

Tall coasters have more energy and therefore can be longer than short ones, the trouble is the extra speed means they get through their track more quickly and the speed and height means more steel is needed for a given length of track. Both of these factors make tall coasters more expensive per second of ride time than a smaller coaster. I'm not really surprised they weren't willing to fully use all of the speed available but when you consider it would only be the 5th longest coaster at BPB (behind PMBO, Icon, Dipper and either side of Nash) you can see why people are always going on about the length.

I'm not really surprised they weren't willing to fully use all of the speed available but when you consider it would only be the 5th longest coaster at BPB (behind PMBO, Icon, Dipper and either side of Nash) you can see why people are always going on about the length.

PMBO and Icon are both criticised though for not making the most of their length and meandering on the second half of their rides. It’s a bit of a pity that Hyperia is on the shorter side for a hyper and doesn’t have an extra element or two to round it off but what it does have looks so good.

Yea I mean hyperia's track length is 476 feet more than collosus and 915 feet longer than nemesis reborn's track length to put it into perspective I think it'll be a similar duration to nemesis which is the most beloved rollercoaster in the country but we've already discussed this to death.

I still think hyperia will be a massive hit from enthusiast's and the regular guest but now only time will tell, roll on may 24th.

I think the main issue for me is that it's a short coaster in a park full of short coasters. With the possible exception of Colossus none of Thorpe's major coasters really have enough track between the highest point and the brakes.

If the park was hilly they could have built the station higher up, so that it hit the brakes with less speed. Had that been the case I think they'd be getting a lot less flak for it even if the layout were otherwise the same.

Criticism aside, I fully expect it to be one of the UK's best coasters and quite possibly THE best. I'm just concerned that it'll seem like a missed opportunity to have built something even better.

I’m sure it’ll be a good coaster.

It’s just a shame they have built the thing at Thorpe Park. Still don’t think it’s enough of a draw to get me to endure a day there.

Hyperia length chat has to be the most boring chat - enough already.
It took me longer to read your post than it will do to ride Hyperia. It's very short, incase you weren't aware.

I take it you haven't ventured into the operations 2024 thread then?
I tried my very best, twice even, to cheer up that thread a bit. Is Th13teen running yet? Is Rita still on one train?

The 1.3m ride height for Hyperia worries me. Even more than the badly designed layout. When a ride is designed the manufacturers give the park a minimum height requirement and the park can decide to go with that or use their own discretion and enforce a taller requirement. A lot of things will go into the decision guiding that minimum height requirement, but not everything can be fully accounted for.

The first factor is obviously the restraint system. A manufacturer will have all tested their restraint systems extensively and they will have a good idea of what the minimum height can be for riders that won't see them exiting the train before they arrive back at the station. Looking up to see 20+ kids raining from the sky, before they plough into the concreted ground, won't play very well with people inside and outside the park. I'm certain we will never hear, " Look at the little one, did you see how far he bounced before he was impaled on the safety railings " being conveyed in a gleeful manner.

However, different body shapes can be harder to account for. Plus size people can be a problem if they try to force themselves into the restraints or the restraints aren't fully locked to accommodate them. This should never happen, but sadly it sometimes does. Generally speaking the manufacturer will set a weight limit and the ride staff will be alert for people of a size that will test the restraints.

For me, the bigger problems are with the smaller people, especially children. People with very slight frames can sometimes slip through the restraints if that last click hasn't been achieved. In respect to young children an even greater range of factors comes into play. Small children don't have the muscle mass and the core stability of older riders.

I've watched kids on RMC coasters, with their 48" or 1.2m height restrictions, being thrown around like rag dolls. Granted, they are enjoying every single moment of their ride, but the forces that their bodies are being subjected to are extreme. It doesn't take very much to cause whiplash or damage to developing bones and joints, not to mention the stress that greying out can put on a person.

A different set of factors can affect older and more frail people. It is very well known in the coaster community that the older you get the less resilient you are to the demands placed on the body by a coaster ride. It can take you longer to recover from an intense ride, your heart can be more prone to giving out and those brittle bones can't take the forces a young and healthy body can.

And yet, despite all of this Granny Brittle Bones and Jenifer Bobble Head can both queue up and ride Hyperia safe in the knowledge that nothing negative will affect them because they are 1.3m tall. I'm exaggerating a bit here, because most rides have safety disclaimers on the signage that covers things like a dicky ticker and so. Although, following all of these advisory warnings are completely up to the riders discretion and sadly eager riders are not immune to making some very bad decisions.

I can imagine that the riders of Hyperia will experience some pretty intense G-Forces at the bottom of that first twisting drop. Far more than I would be happy exposing an 8 year old kid too, which is the average age of somebody 1.3m in height.

Some of the points made previously in this thread should be enough to raise questions about a 1.3m height rating for this ride. If 8 year olds are allowed to go on the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the country how can you subsequently tell them that they can't go on the swarm which is less extreme. Nobody will be able to placate them with the argument that it is down to the train configuration, because they will have seen the same trains on Mandril Mayhem. Kids might be small, but they aren't daft.

The perceived disparity and unfairness will makes no sense to them. Just like it makes no sense to me. Putting such a situation into play will probably lead to confusion, disappointment and a lot of tears before bedtime. And that is just the ride operatives, imagine how the kids will feel.

On the other hand if the forces in play aren't that really great then it will act to refute the marketing blurb that Hyperia is the most extreme coaster in the country.

Will you Face your Fearless and take your seat on a ride designed for 8 year olds ?

Okay, I'm worried, but I think I can handle it, I need a transition point to help me build up to the Telly Tubbies boat ride.

If I had to guess then I would say that the park have gone for the lowest ride height possible instead of exercising a bit of caution. The lower that a ride height is set at the more people can ride and the more people who can ride Hyperia the more people they can pull into the park. It could be a simple case of placing an emphasis on visitor numbers and profits instead of being sensible. The sort of decision that marketeers and money counters would make, but safety conscious people wouldn't.

Just because a park can do something it doesn't mean that it should do something. I would be a lot happier if Hyperia had a 1.4m rider height limit.

It took me longer to read your post than it will do to ride Hyperia. It's very short, incase you weren't aware.

Hyperia was obviously designed to meet with the requirements of a specific demographic. Looking at the elements I'm guessing the target audience is young male virgins. A lot of big claims are made and a lot of boasting is heard before the ride commences. And then the real action begins, amounting to a very disappointing four pumps and a squirt, before the rider enters the long apologetic break run and they are prematurely ejected from the train.

I'm sorry, I didn't expect to finish so quickly

It's okay, we can try again when you've recovered

The yo yo yo boys are going to be thrilled by it.

Hyperia was obviously designed to meet with the requirements of a specific demographic. Looking at the elements I'm guessing the target audience is young male virgins. A lot of big claims are made and a lot of boasting is heard before the ride commences. And then the real action begins, amounting to a very disappointing four pumps and a squirt, before the rider enters the long apologetic break run and they are prematurely ejected from the train.

I'm sorry, I didn't expect to finish so quickly

It's okay, we can try again when you've recovered

The yo yo yo boys are going to be thrilled by it.

If there is a closed season award for best post of the year this is it 😂

The 1.3m ride height for Hyperia worries me. Even more than the badly designed layout. When a ride is designed the manufacturers give the park a minimum height requirement and the park can decide to go with that or use their own discretion and enforce a taller requirement. A lot of things will go into the decision guiding that minimum height requirement, but not everything can be fully accounted for.

The first factor is obviously the restraint system. A manufacturer will have all tested their restraint systems extensively and they will have a good idea of what the minimum height can be for riders that won't see them exiting the train before they arrive back at the station. Looking up to see 20+ kids raining from the sky, before they plough into the concreted ground, won't play very well with people inside and outside the park. I'm certain we will never hear, " Look at the little one, did you see how far he bounced before he was impaled on the safety railings " being conveyed in a gleeful manner.

However, different body shapes can be harder to account for. Plus size people can be a problem if they try to force themselves into the restraints or the restraints aren't fully locked to accommodate them. This should never happen, but sadly it sometimes does. Generally speaking the manufacturer will set a weight limit and the ride staff will be alert for people of a size that will test the restraints.

For me, the bigger problems are with the smaller people, especially children. People with very slight frames can sometimes slip through the restraints if that last click hasn't been achieved. In respect to young children an even greater range of factors comes into play. Small children don't have the muscle mass and the core stability of older riders.

I've watched kids on RMC coasters, with their 48" or 1.2m height restrictions, being thrown around like rag dolls. Granted, they are enjoying every single moment of their ride, but the forces that their bodies are being subjected to are extreme. It doesn't take very much to cause whiplash or damage to developing bones and joints, not to mention the stress that greying out can put on a person.

A different set of factors can affect older and more frail people. It is very well known in the coaster community that the older you get the less resilient you are to the demands placed on the body by a coaster ride. It can take you longer to recover from an intense ride, your heart can be more prone to giving out and those brittle bones can't take the forces a young and healthy body can.

And yet, despite all of this Granny Brittle Bones and Jenifer Bobble Head can both queue up and ride Hyperia safe in the knowledge that nothing negative will affect them because they are 1.3m tall. I'm exaggerating a bit here, because most rides have safety disclaimers on the signage that covers things like a dicky ticker and so. Although, following all of these advisory warnings are completely up to the riders discretion and sadly eager riders are not immune to making some very bad decisions.

I can imagine that the riders of Hyperia will experience some pretty intense G-Forces at the bottom of that first twisting drop. Far more than I would be happy exposing an 8 year old kid too, which is the average age of somebody 1.3m in height.

Some of the points made previously in this thread should be enough to raise questions about a 1.3m height rating for this ride. If 8 year olds are allowed to go on the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the country how can you subsequently tell them that they can't go on the swarm which is less extreme. Nobody will be able to placate them with the argument that it is down to the train configuration, because they will have seen the same trains on Mandril Mayhem. Kids might be small, but they aren't daft.

The perceived disparity and unfairness will makes no sense to them. Just like it makes no sense to me. Putting such a situation into play will probably lead to confusion, disappointment and a lot of tears before bedtime. And that is just the ride operatives, imagine how the kids will feel.

On the other hand if the forces in play aren't that really great then it will act to refute the marketing blurb that Hyperia is the most extreme coaster in the country.

Will you Face your Fearless and take your seat on a ride designed for 8 year olds ?

Okay, I'm worried, but I think I can handle it, I need a transition point to help me build up to the Telly Tubbies boat ride.

If I had to guess then I would say that the park have gone for the lowest ride height possible instead of exercising a bit of caution. The lower that a ride height is set at the more people can ride and the more people who can ride Hyperia the more people they can pull into the park. It could be a simple case of placing an emphasis on visitor numbers and profits instead of being sensible. The sort of decision that marketeers and money counters would make, but safety conscious people wouldn't.

Just because a park can do something it doesn't mean that it should do something. I would be a lot happier if Hyperia had a 1.4m rider height limit.
I’m almost certain that a post-Smiler crash Merlin would have thought this through very, very carefully. I’m sure that both they and Mack would have applied more nuance to the decision than simply “this train design = this height restriction”. If that was the only thought process, why would we have Mandrill Mayhem at 1.2m and The Swarm at 1.4m? Or Saw at 1.4m while other Euro-Fighters like Speed and Rage are only 1.25m? Merlin have certainly not shied away from inflating height restrictions beyond the manufacturer minimum before, so they must feel that a 1.3m height restriction for Hyperia is safe and entirely warranted.

I do get your point about a lower height restriction for Hyperia possibly raising questions about why people can ride it, but not any of the smaller coasters around it. However, I do wonder how much people would actually question it rather than just taking it at face value.

In terms of whether it is safe for young bodies to be exposed to those kinds of g-forces; what I’d say is that height restrictions lower than 1.4m on extreme coasters are not a particularly new phenomenon at this point. Roller coasters are growing more accessible to younger guests as technology progresses, and in Europe and the USA, we’ve been having thrill coasters with lower height restrictions for probably 10-15 years now. There are many, many incredibly thrilling coasters with height restrictions lower than 1.4m; as an example, you have many RMCs at 48”/1.2m, you have Intamin Blitz Coasters like Taron and VelociCoaster at 51”/1.3m, you have pretty much every thrill coaster Mack has ever created at 51”/1.3m or lower, and you have many other examples beyond that. 1.4m is growing rarer as a height restriction for modern thrill coasters; it’s only really B&M who sticks to this nowadays.

These restraints are tested rigorously, and incidents of any kind are vanishingly, vanishingly rare. Deaths on roller coasters are even rarer, and deaths from restraints opening are even rarer than that. These thrill coasters with lower height restrictions have been around for many, many years now. If there were serious problems with children smaller than 1.4m being allowed on these coasters, I think we would have heard about it by now and we would have seen changes to ride safety restrictions accordingly. Seeing as we haven’t seen this, I have every faith that it’s 100% safe.