• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Anything Radioactive Topic

This year's open days for the Cuckfield ROC post have been announced. I went a few years ago and highly reccomend it. Very interesting, very well preserved, and very friendly volunteers. Even just finding it involves a very nice country walk.
It goes without saying it's not the most accessable place to visit though. You'll need to climb the ladder to get in and out. (Good pair of boots would be my reccomendation, based on how muddy it was when wee visited. ;) )
  • Saturday 13th July – 12pm to 4pm
  • Sunday 14th July – 10am to 1pm
  • Saturday 10th Aug – 12pm to 4pm
  • Sunday 11th Aug 10am to 1pm
More info:

Does anyone remember the NS Savannah? It was a merchant and civilian nuclear powered ship. Unsurprisingly, from the U.S.A during their nuclear crazy era in the 1940's / 1950's, when nuclear power was seen as this miracle technology and the United States wanted everything nuclear powered all the time. *Cough* Ford Nucleon *Cough*. I can see even less problems arising from allowing the peasants access to nuclear powered cars it's totally fine. Again even less risky, their nuclear powered jets that they wanted to build. The 40's and 50's were a wild time, man.

I can see no problems arising from the general population being let loose with nuclear technology, yeah. Nothing to see here.

Now if you do not mind, I have to go and play with my completely safe toy...

American Flyer Trains 1951, page 43.jpg
Screen-Shot-2020-04-06-at-12.32.13-PM-1536x1282.png

Last edited:
If it makes anyone feel better, in the middle of a solar storm, I''m still getting below average readings on my Geiger counter.
..... at what point does "below average" become the new average?

Well, I had been enjoying post Eurovision drinks on Discord. We had all called it a night, (and for once in my life I was the sober one!) M'lady was getting up for work in about half an hour, so rather than wake her by going to bed, I was having a ciggie on the balcony, waiting for the sun to come up. Looking at the sky, the recent aurora came to mind, and I wondered. So I grabbed my geiger counter.
That's really all there was to it. Happy now? ;)

Acceptable I suppose, but generally inappropriate behaviour for our age bracket.
Eurovision until sun rise, well done.
I got up in the night to pee off the balcony, no aurora here either.
And I didn't whip a geiger counter out with my free hand.