• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Best European Park for...

Bowser

TS Member
This year we're looking to visit a European park with our son for the first time and wondering if the Forum hive mind can assist! Basically looking for an experience you can't get in the UK.

Our main requirements are:

- Good dark rides, rollercoasters and possibly a water park, though height restriction of approx 1.25m (might be taller by summer and with shoes). For reference his favourite rides are Gruffalo, Vampire, Mandrill, WickerMan and Sky Lion.
- Functional RAP system (or reasonable queue times)
- Good reliability in weather (so not Alton Towers lol) or plenty of Dark Rides etc to compensate.
- Non-hotel based accommodation (appreciate this is probably achievable anywhere using AirBNB)
- Either a drive from South East in approx 5 hours or direct flight and easy transport to park/accommodation.

Based on research so far my top options seem to be:

1. Disneyland Paris. Tons of excellent rides, no height issues, no weather issues. Don't know how RAP works there and transport to non-hotel accommodation seems difficult (though can drive)

2. Efteling. Onsite accommodation including swimming pool, few height issues, "Disney" magic. Heard RAP is quite bad? Can fly direct from Stansted.

3. Europa Park. Tons of excellent rides, plenty of indoor attractions, water park onsite, queues typically not terrible outside of main peak. Transport may be difficult.

Opinions and suggestions welcome!

Efteling's swimming pool is only in the Bosrijk area and isn’t the biggest in the world.

RAP there is fine when we've used it. Some rides are busier than others (Joris is the WORST) but that's the same at DLP anyway.

Efteling is no doubt far cheaper than Disney and does have a higher number of quieter areas within the park. Which might be more beneficial to you. Could also drive to it within reason (3.5 hours from Calais).

Europa isn't too difficult to get to via flights but would likely need a hire car to get from airport to park.

Depends on you end of the day though. I'm incredibly biased towards Efteling though but it has far more non-ride stuff to do. Plus pancakes.

I would opt for Efteling.

The swimming pool in Bosjrik is small, but pretty good fun, with a mini-rapids. Plus it's just so nice to hang out in that holiday village, and at the resort.

Europa Park, and Germany in general, are not big on RAP. If you're used to the inclusivity of the UK, German parks could seem quite jarring. Otherwise, EP is the best option here, and if you stay on-site, you can knock out two big coasters by 9AM without much in the way of a queue.

Efteling's swimming pool is only in the Bosrijk area and isn’t the biggest in the world.

RAP there is fine when we've used it. Some rides are busier than others (Joris is the WORST) but that's the same at DLP anyway.

Efteling is no doubt far cheaper than Disney and does have a higher number of quieter areas within the park. Which might be more beneficial to you. Could also drive to it within reason (3.5 hours from Calais).

Europa isn't too difficult to get to via flights but would likely need a hire car to get from airport to park.

Depends on you end of the day though. I'm incredibly biased towards Efteling though but it has far more non-ride stuff to do. Plus pancakes.

You're right, i thought it was further but it is a similar drive time to DLP.

In terms of the RAP i'd heard stories of people waiting longer than the main queue as they often were unmanned? Does it have a timeout period like Merlin?

I would opt for Efteling.

The swimming pool in Bosjrik is small, but pretty good fun, with a mini-rapids. Plus it's just so nice to hang out in that holiday village, and at the resort.

Europa Park, and Germany in general, are not big on RAP. If you're used to the inclusivity of the UK, German parks could seem quite jarring. Otherwise, EP is the best option here.

Thanks. Out of interest, why are people ranking Efteling over Disney? In terms of ride selection, Disney does seem a lot better?

DLP has some very good attractions, but I prefer the wider variety, charm and occasional weirdness of Efteling, which, like Disney, is open until 10PM in summer these days.

And it's much cheaper.

You're right, i thought it was further but it is a similar drive time to DLP.

In terms of the RAP i'd heard stories of people waiting longer than the main queue as they often were unmanned? Does it have a timeout period like Merlin?

I've never seen them unmanned. They don't necessarily have a dedicated host and can be lacking in communication on some of the rides. Think they're getting better on it though. Never waited longer than the main queue, and there aren't any timeouts on them. The number of carers does vary depending on the attraction though.

Efteling has a far calmer atmosphere than Disney. Whilst still has a great deal of quality (especially in the dark rides). That you can spend 2/3 hours in Fairytale Forest is a huge part of it. It's like the difference in those low energy kids shows and kiddie crack like Cocomelon.

I've never seen them unmanned. They don't necessarily have a dedicated host and can be lacking in communication on some of the rides. Think they're getting better on it though. Never waited longer than the main queue, and there aren't any timeouts on them. The number of carers does vary depending on the attraction though.

Efteling has a far calmer atmosphere than Disney. Whilst still has a great deal of quality (especially in the dark rides). That you can spend 2/3 hours in Fairytale Forest is a huge part of it. It's like the difference in those low energy kids shows and kiddie crack like Cocomelon.

Good to know, thanks! I reckon we will give Efteling a try first then.

Actually another potential option could be Phantasialand if he reaches 1.3m this year, how does that rank compared to the others?

Actually another potential option could be Phantasialand if he reaches 1.3m this year, how does that rank compared to the others?
River Quest, Talocan and Black Mamba are the only rides with height restrictions of 1.4m; everything else is 1.3m or less. However, rides at Phantasialand do also have age restrictions - Mystery Castle for instance is 10+ only, and F.L.Y. is 8+ (however I’m not sure how well that’s enforced).

Have you considered Parc Astérix as well? It’s just as accessible as EP and from what I gather they also have a pretty decent ride access pass system too. I think everything there is 1.3m+ too except Goudurix (which is arguably no big loss) - even their B&M invert is only 1.3m!

River Quest, Talocan and Black Mamba are the only rides with height restrictions of 1.4m; everything else is 1.3m or less. However, rides at Phantasialand do also have age restrictions - Mystery Castle for instance is 10+ only, and F.L.Y. is 8+ (however I’m not sure how well that’s enforced).

Have you considered Parc Astérix as well? It’s just as accessible as EP and from what I gather they also have a pretty decent ride access pass system too. I think everything there is 1.3m+ too except Goudurix (which is arguably no big loss) - even their B&M invert is only 1.3m!

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check out Asterix too! My son is 10 so fine by age but he’s not quite 1.3m yet so sounds like a few of these options will be better off waiting.

I'm surprised no one has advocated for Europa Park. I think the only 1.4 coaster is Silver Star - even Voltron is set to be 1.3. And of course you have countless indoor and outdoor support attractions, and there is the matter of a world-class waterpark. There is a form of RAP-style system as well, for which those with non-physical disabilities are eligible, but actually depending on when you go very few of the rides have long queues anyway, and you can try to get virtual slots for things like Wodan and Blue Fire.

I guess travel is the sticking point there, it isn't the easiest park to get to. A direct train from Basel SBB to Ringsheim isn't too difficult though, or you could even fork out for an airport shuttle.

I'm surprised no one has advocated for Europa Park. I think the only 1.4 coaster is Silver Star - even Voltron is set to be 1.3. And of course you have countless indoor and outdoor support attractions, and there is the matter of a world-class waterpark. There is a form of RAP-style system as well, for which those with non-physical disabilities are eligible, but actually depending on when you go very few of the rides have long queues anyway, and you can try to get virtual slots for things like Wodan and Blue Fire.

I guess travel is the sticking point there, it isn't the easiest park to get to. A direct train from Basel SBB to Ringsheim isn't too difficult though, or you could even fork out for an airport shuttle.

Me too tbh! Though I think the transport and accommodation are the most difficult with EP so probably one to build up to if the others go well.

Actually just noticed Plopsaland has a water park too and it’s basically the same distance as AT so could do both with a single night.

A follow up question about this in light of the recent AT fiasco and currently looking out the window, which of the parks would you consider weather resistant? Obviously it would be heart breaking to travel so far and have the trip ruined by inoperable rides...

- Disneyland Paris basically looks completely weather proof with 90% of rides being indoors.

- Efteling probably second? 5 or 6 dark rides, not sure about operability of the outdoor coasters? Nothing looks too big...

- Plopsaland seems to be the weakest. There's a few dark rides and indoor bits but the main attractions are outdoors.

- Europa seem to have a decent offering of indoor attractions. Also get the impression they're more prepared to operate in adverse conditions?

A follow up question about this in light of the recent AT fiasco and currently looking out the window, which of the parks would you consider weather resistant? Obviously it would be heart breaking to travel so far and have the trip ruined by inoperable rides...

- Disneyland Paris basically looks completely weather proof with 90% of rides being indoors.

- Efteling probably second? 5 or 6 dark rides, not sure about operability of the outdoor coasters? Nothing looks too big...

- Plopsaland seems to be the weakest. There's a few dark rides and indoor bits but the main attractions are outdoors.

- Europa seem to have a decent offering of indoor attractions. Also get the impression they're more prepared to operate in adverse conditions?
Outdoor rides in most parks in Europe tend to continue operating throughout inclement weather. Silver Star at Europa Park will close in high winds, and any park will wisely shut down if there's a risk of thunderstorms. Extremely heavy rain might cause temporary closures (this did happen to us as EP last May) but not usually for long and tbh you would probably choose not to ride in torrential rain anyway. Other than that there shouldn't be any specific issues with ride availability.

In terms of climate the Netherlands is similar to here and Efteling is a bit notorious for crappy weather, but it depends when you go. We had stunning weather in June 2022. It does have a lot of indoor attractions as well, though it's a big park to walk around in the rain.

Have you considered Walibi Belgium? It’s about a 2hr 40 min drive from Calais and it has the Aqualibri water park. The park has two fantastic dark rides in Popcorn Revenge and Challenge Of Tutenkhamon and the superb rapids ride Radja River. The coasters are all 1.3m or less so there’s a lot of stuff for your son to go on if they meet that height limit.

Have you considered Walibi Belgium? It’s about a 2hr 40 min drive from Calais and it has the Aqualibri water park. The park has two fantastic dark rides in Popcorn Revenge and Challenge Of Tutenkhamon and the superb rapids ride Radja River. The coasters are all 1.3m or less so there’s a lot of stuff for your son to go on if they meet that height limit.

I have not! I now have homework this evening 😃

Is essentially the same distance as Efteling and DLP though.

Efteling was topping my list, the only issue is the accommodation with swimming access is like Centre Parcs where you have to stay on set days which is trickier to organise. Annoyingly someone just booked the last one on the date we were planning (it was available this morning).

The only consideration I've have with Walibi is if the Belgium RAP system works in similar fashion to the Holland one.

Essentially you end up waiting at the exit for the duration of the queue time. But there's no real amenities to suit those to wait for extended periods.

This of course may have changed since my last visit and Belgium might be different. But on our visits we've purchased Fastrack instead as the system is slightly flawed even if the most fair.

The only consideration I've have with Walibi is if the Belgium RAP system works in similar fashion to the Holland one.

Essentially you end up waiting at the exit for the duration of the queue time. But there's no real amenities to suit those to wait for extended periods.

This of course may have changed since my last visit and Belgium might be different. But on our visits we've purchased Fastrack instead as the system is slightly flawed even if the most fair.

Interesting. So basically you're standing in the same spot which is arguably a worse experience than queuing? Sounds like it's solely for wheelchair users but will investigate. Also how on earth do they police that, does a ride operator keep checking their watch?

You're right about the FastTrack plan though.

Anyway, i'm halfway through the TPWW vlog of Walibi and it does look very good! Has quite a Universal Singapore vibe in terms of rides and quality. Plus it's close to Brussels so the Eurostar is a viable option. Much like Plopsa my main concern is not quite being 1.3m does seem to remove a few of the best attractions but will see if the water park compensates for that.

My son is so small i don't know if he'll ever get to 1.4m :tearsofjoy: :sob:

Interesting. So basically you're standing in the same spot which is arguably a worse experience than queuing? Sounds like it's solely for wheelchair users but will investigate. Also how on earth do they police that, does a ride operator keep checking their watch?

You're right about the FastTrack plan though.

Not entirely sure. We were fairly confused by it on the first visit and when eventually explained felt it better to use the Fastrack option (weren't using the wheelchair back then).

It might have changed since though.