• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Best theming in the world

Bowser

TS Member
Which parks do people think do the best job with theming and immersion?

The obvious contenders are Disney and Universal but from what i've seen (as i haven't visited), Phantasialand, Europa and Efteling are right up there too. They also benefit from unique IP's so in a way that gives them a different level of freedom and creativity.

Anywhere else? Some of the new UAE parks like Warner Bros and Sea World look very impressive.

I think that's what i'm most excited about with the potential Universal park here, having world class theming in a UK park.

It's easy to say both Disney and Universal but imo Disney edge out Universal a little bit mostly because they do a much better job hiding their show buildings. With rides like Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion Disney do a terrific job at concealing actual ride buildings. The same unfortunately can't be said for Universal. It's really easy to see the show building for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. But that's just one ride I can think of tbh

Which parks do people think do the best job with theming and immersion?
Blackpool.

The dedication that goes into making that place seem like a run down seaside resort, long past its glory days, is admirable.

The performance art of their management taking up Stanislavski's method, of being inherited managers out of their depth, is second to none.

Whenever I'm there I truly feel transported back in time and fully immersed in the sad misery, for that I can't fault it.

Never change Mandyland.

Blackpool.

The dedication that goes into making that place seem like a run down seaside resort, long past its glory days, is admirable.

The performance art of their management taking up Stanislavski's method, of being inherited managers out of their depth, is second to none.

Whenever I'm there I truly feel transported back in time and fully immersed in the sad misery, for that I can't fault it.

Never change Mandyland.

Reminds me of Banky's Dismaland

1714592984380.png

Alton Towers. The Stargazing Pods are likely to be the best fictional depiction of a pig farm you'll ever see. Dark Forest is practically identical to the fence panel section of your local B&Q. And Walliams World really captures the essence of a crime ridden back street in central Glasgow after a tanker of multicoloured paint smashed into it.

Disney and Universal can spend upwards of 100m on a single attraction. It's not even a fair contest to compare them to everyone else is it?

Bang for buck I'd have to say that Europa Park & Phantasialand are probably the best. What they create on relatively modest budgets compared to the big American two is quite simply phenomenal. German enthusiasts are so so lucky.

Portaventura is definitely a great park for immersion too of course.

I was very impressed with the level of detail at Motiongate Dubai too on my trip there a few years ago. The indoor DreamWorks areas are genuinely Disney/Universal standard even if the outdoor areas could do with some more work. Can't wait to get back there in a few weeks time to experience it all again.

Disney and Universal can spend upwards of 100m on a single attraction. It's not even a fair contest to compare them to everyone else is it?

Bang for buck I'd have to say that Europa Park & Phantasialand are probably the best. What they create on relatively modest budgets compared to the big American two is quite simply phenomenal. German enthusiasts are so so lucky.

Portaventura is definitely a great park for immersion too of course.

I was very impressed with the level of detail at Motiongate Dubai too on my trip there a few years ago. The indoor DreamWorks areas are genuinely Disney/Universal standard even if the outdoor areas could do with some more work. Can't wait to get back there in a few weeks time to experience it all again.

Not so much in the competitive sense, more an observation that some parks put a focus on theming relative to their budgets that separates them from the majority of theme parks.

Portaventura isn't one i considered. I haven't been there since the 90s but it hasn't stood out on that front in the vlogs i've watched compared to the German parks. Any good examples from there?

The western themed area at PortAventura is very well done. The park have a real advantage in that the climate supports a nice range of plants so that it can have lush palms in Polynesia and large cactuses growing in Far West and they’ve got some really nice old style buildings up there. The front of the Uncharted ride with the cliffs looks really nice.
IMG_4933.jpeg

But in terms of the best theming Rookburgh is fantastic, it’s breathtaking when you walk in there for the first time and see F.L.Y weaving its way overhead and steam rising up from the vents. The ride and the themed area are essentially one and the same and everything is superbly integrated.

I still haven't been back for Rookburgh yet either sadly but I really need to. It looks absolutely stunning.
Not the biggest of parks but everything there is so well done and they think about almost everything. So much attention to detail which certainly is reflected in the end product.

Wish we had a park that cared that much about presentation. Towers to an extent do but it's slap dash at best. You get somethings that are brilliantly themed and then others that look drab and unfinished.

Paultons would so an incredible job with the rest of their park if they had a Merlin style budget.

Think with portaventura it's really well done going from Mediterranean, into grand canyon, the old West area of the log flume, into the desert area of Stampida/unchartered and finally into Mexico.

To add a serious contribution to this thread - I’d say Efteling. Thought it was a wonderful place.

Yep did mention them in the OP! Again haven't been but it looks magical from what i've seen. DLP, Efteling, Phantasialand and Europa are my wish list of theme parks to visit.

Whilst Disney & Universal are perhaps the best overall for creating grand and immersive areas, I think the real winners are actually Europa Park & Phantasialand.

Though not the same financial behemoths as the above, both parks have created some stunning areas over the last 10 years. Iceland, Klugheim, Croatia, Batavia/New Scandinavia and Rookburgh. Which I’m still yet to see in person, but looks incredible from pictures. Both parks show that with the right creative spark, design and placements, you can create stunning lands and attractions without blowing hundreds of millions of pounds/dollars/ euros on a single area (or in some cases an attraction).

Parks like Efteling, Parc Asterix, Port Aventura are amongst honourable mentions with their strong additions of themed areas and attractions.

Merlin are still a fair way behind on themed attraction, but their efforts with Alton Manor & Nemesis Reborn certainly appear in the right direction.

I've always thought the toilets at Towers would be awesome if they were themed.

Toilet Sector (with Don't Look down arrows pointing to the toilet bowl, Ministry of joy cameras pointed at you), Gloomy Bogs, Mutinous Kermit, Forbidden Kazi, etc etc.

I love that even the toilets are themed at Europa Park. In Disney though the overall quality of the theming is amazing the toilets are always quite generic!
Even Flamingo Land has some themed toilets in its FL1 race area and they aren’t badly done. The Berlin toilets at Phantasialand are good as well and there are some grand looking ones at Energylandia (I can’t remember which area they are in, is it Aqualantis?).