• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Buying Towers Times As A Collective or Collectively Funding A New Site?

Ash

TS Member
Hi,

As some of you may or may not know im a long time member of Towers Times Forum (05 I think) and ive seen what is currently happening many times before as have many of the team. For years ive been interested in collectives/social groups and organically growing communities of people with like minded ideas (im not a tree hugger just socially aware)

Before we leap forward into the same old mistakes in a new place, how about in this climate of global change we consider something else?

Ive been away for a while, and as my contribution for you all as a thank you for being welcomed back with open arms at TT10 id like to make a proposal.

I propose that we offer to buy Towers Times and all that come with is as a community, asking for a set price from Chris and then creating a kickstarter account with a goal with which to buy Towers Times. This comes with a agreement for all those who contribute. Towers Times could then exist for the foreseeable future and we can grow with new members. Chris would not have the hassle of needing the find a team, he can wash his hands of the site and get his money back for his contributions to running the site which are greatly appreciated. The community then takes control and arranges the community and how we propose to move forward.

OR

we could do all of this for a new site, build it, run it and own it ourselves? Create our own rules, structure, society. Our own way of dealing with problems and grievances. Raise or own funds and let everyone be a part of it so we all want whats best for TT so its successful? Not only that if we manage to raise funds from the site these are discussed by the community and could perhaps be used for events, funding the site, trips, pin badges, fleeces who knows!

A bit far fetched I know, but it was just a thought.

thoughts?

Ash

Re: Buying Towers Times As A Collective

Great idea, and I'd gladly put in a few quid.

:)

I highly doubt Chris will be willing to sell TowersTimes.

He makes money off the site, and will certainly not give that up for any price... or for his alter ego.

^how much money will he be making off a site with no members?

Why should we buy our own community from someone who has done nothing but neglect it for the past few years?

My guess would be that we would move back...for good.

Because Towers Times and TTF hold a lot of weight and memories. Its the house that we all built, thats why. It might be the best for all parties, it was just a thought

We could something so this never happens again (lest we forget its happened more than once before)

Or we could do something of that nature to fund the new site? And create our own site literally from the ground up as a group and everyone literally has a part to play...?

By the members, for the members and of the members.

Like i said, it was just a suggestion for everyone to consider and/or dismiss. Trying to give something back

I quite like the idea at basic level, but a) I think TT has been damaged too much to be honest, possibly beyond repair, b) Jordan has a very good point, and c) I really can't see Chris having any interest in selling it to us.

to be honest, i think we have fully cut ties with TT now - lets leave it to rot away.

All good things come to an end.

If Chris has treated the site and those who run it with such discontent then he doesnt deserve to be a part of the community he partly created. Also I would think that some might think that they owe it too themselves and each other to salvage the place.

Also if it makes money like others have said this could then be used to repay those who initially put money in to buy the site and later used to fund events, running costs etc etc. And it would be everyones, ours.

Or like I have said we could apply the exact same principle to a new site?

I would be willing to chip in for a new "TTF Collective". But as has been said, I doubt Chris would be willing to sell.
TTF as a brand is well known, and has a lot of clout in the coaster community.

The only way we could salvage TT is to have some kind of coup and overthrow him. Sadly, I feel it is already too late for that. :(

James said:
I highly doubt Chris will be willing to sell TowersTimes.

He makes money off the site, and will certainly not give that up for any price... or for his alter ego.

How did he make a profit off the site may I ask? I didn't notice any adverts, product placements or 'Bags of Crap'.
I'm rather intrigued actually.. ???

There was that Thorpe advert, and I'm sure I remember a LWV one about a year ago as well.

Another point, all of the amazing content on the main site is now gone.

I suggest anyone who has contributed anything gets them back, asap

Just to point out, While I am up for a "bloodless coup", I would not support any "illegal" actions.

I'd happily pitch in provided a get permission. We could start a fund attempt next meet and plead Chris if we can buy a stake in it. It may not happen, but the TT spirit can always try.