• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Dorney Park: General Discussion

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. I don't believe we have a thread about Dorney Park yet, so I made one. Anyway, I made the thread because yesterday in their blog, Dorney Park announced the removal of Stinger, their Vekoma Invertigo. So I think they may be removing this for a major development in the coming years. I reckon that either a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster, like HangTime at Knott's, or an RMC Raptor, like RailBlazer at California's Great America, would be a good fit. Or maybe they are building something else, like a dark ride or flat ride. What do you guys think?

Maybe a GCI? Would be a good fit.

I'm not sure Stinger is being removed to make room for a new ride though - more that its apparently unpopular and a maintenance nightmare.

Maybe a GCI? Would be a good fit.

I'm not sure Stinger is being removed to make room for a new ride though - more that its apparently unpopular and a maintenance nightmare.
Taylor Bybee and a lot of US enthusiasts are thinking a GCI as well, so you could be on to something there.

Would be ideal for Paulton's, another small step up in thrill rating for those kids who've been going annually since they were three that are now too big for the small stuff but too small for Thorpe Park.

Well Kanonen from Liseberg has been rumoured to be coming to the US.
And it would fit in Stinger's site...

I'm not sure if the Tweet was serious or not. Although it's fair to say Dorney Park is partial to a second hand coaster, Cedar Fair has had nothing but trouble with their two existing Accelerator rides.

Dragster is closed more than it's open (not to mention its snafu at the end of the season) and Xcelerator has been closed since July.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be a bad fit for Dorney, actually. Although I would have preferred a brand new ride.

Why? When are you venturing to Allentown, Pennsylvania?
Probably no time soon, to be completely honest. Dorney isn't that high on my International to do list of parks to visit when I'm an adult. I more meant that I thought a brand new ride would have been better for the park.

Screamscape are reporting that Dorney Park have filed permits to build a new coaster and have the following image that could well be the layout:

db_2018_0701_Dorney2019_PossibleLayout1.jpg

A woodie certainly seems to be on the cards.

:)

A modern woodie makes perfect sense for them. Are they not getting Kanonen now though?

A modern woodie makes perfect sense for them. Are they not getting Kanonen now though?

As far as I am aware that was only a fan thought, not even a rumour. God knows where Kanonen might end up!

:)

Reactions: Ted
Are they not getting Kanonen now though?
@Rob I think Kanonen was rooted in the jokes about Dorney almost always receiving second hand rides. If you've been, you'll know that the 'dry' side of the park is usually fairly dead when the weather is good because the water park is the real draw there, irrespective of what rides they put in.

I don't see Cedar Fair rushing to buy any Intamin product, new or second hand - especially a Hydraulic Launch ride, they have enough problems with the ones that they have!

Reactions: Ted
Dorney Park felt all a bit average when I went in 2013.

I'd love to see them get something that'll really help them stand out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well, in these dark times for theme parks, I have a lovely light piece of news for you all; Dorney Park has filed for planning permission to build a new roller coaster in 2021! In terms of things currently known:
  • The ride will be 106ft tall.
  • It looks to be a similar style of ride to Switchback at ZDT's Amusement Park, a wooden shuttle coaster manufactured by Gravity Group.
  • Possessed, the park's Intamin impulse coaster, is being removed in order to build it.
  • The planning committee is meeting online on 16th April to discuss the application.
All in all, I think this is a really positive piece of news for the park! Switchback gets great reviews from those who've ridden, and a new coaster for Dorney Park can only be good news, especially with the current global situation!