• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Parc Astérix: General Discussion

I was at this park last summer so I'm in no rush, however may still get there later in the year possibly. It looks a fun ride and a good time had by all looking from afar, enhanced by decent looking weather over the weekend. It really enhances an already great park with a fantastic coaster selection. And thinking about coaster selections in European parks, I would probably struggle to put Alton Towers in the top 20. But I guess that thought and discussion is more suited to another thread.
All Towers are lacking is an airtime machine. Which is I prefer visiting parks on the continent.

But there is absolutely no way there are 20 European parks with a better coaster selection.

Based on my preferences I'd say the following do...

Energylandia
Europa
Phantasialand
Asterix
Liseberg
Walibi Holland

But there's an argument to suggest Towers' line up is more well rounded than those.

Then you've got parks with one elite coaster and a few crap ones. Eg Holiday Park, Walibi Belgium, Kolmarden, Port Aventura.

Asterix is a fab park, has been for years and good to see it getting some attention.

Currently miles better as a park than Towers, but that goes for quite a few places currently.

Asterix is definitely a better park overall, but a head to head coaster comparison I would say the selection is better at Towers.

Theming and support attractions are far superior at Asterix.

Depends if you're going to judge a park purely based on its hardware, or on its general offering of coasters, flat rides, dark rides, F&B, general atmosphere, cost and crowd management. As a whole package AT is looking way down that list at the moment. But this isn't really anything to do with Parc Asterix so I'm going to leave it there until Craig inevitably moves all this into another thread!

To get back on track then, it is interesting to note that Intamin are now using these trims on top hats on both this and the new coaster at Parque Warner. It doesn’t look like a great experience from the videos and reviews seem to reflect that they do have quite an effect on the enjoyment of the ride. I wonder whether this is now going to be a standard feature of Intamin too hats.

RE: Tonnerre 2 Zeus - I really doubt that the new T2Z is better than Wicker Man. Of course, it should be... and classic 1990s/2000s Zeus, at its best, was one of the best rides in Europe - but with its gradual decline, and now retrack with the (dreadful) new trains, I am hearing some quite bad things.

To get back on track then, it is interesting to note that Intamin are now using these trims on top hats on both this and the new coaster at Parque Warner. It doesn’t look like a great experience from the videos and reviews seem to reflect that they do have quite an effect on the enjoyment of the ride. I wonder whether this is now going to be a standard feature of Intamin too hats.

I was lucky enough to ride a fairly obscure Vekoma launched coaster, 'Wrath of Zeus', while in Vietnam recently. This also had a newfangled trims and I found it was by far the worst element of the ride and one that took the wind out of the train almost entirely. I suppose the idea is to provide a moment of tension and release, which might work for less seasoned riders anticipating the rest of the course, but a Top Hat with the right height does that anyway. Perhaps the Intamin variation works differently, but ultimately proved to be annoying and counterintuitive to the design.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to ride a fairly obscure Vekoma launched coaster, 'Wrath of Zeus', while in Vietnam recently. This also had a newfangled trims and I found it was by far the worst element of the ride and one that took the wind out of the train almost entirely. I suppose the idea is to provide a moment of tension and release, which might work for less seasoned riders anticipating the rest of the course, but a Top Hat with the right height does that anyway. Perhaps the Intamin variation works differently, but ultimately proved to be annoying and counterintuitive to the design.

If the Vekoma is set up like Abyssus, the fins seem to be further back on them compared to Intamins

RE: Tonnerre 2 Zeus - I really doubt that the new T2Z is better than Wicker Man. Of course, it should be... and classic 1990s/2000s Zeus, at its best, was one of the best rides in Europe - but with its gradual decline, and now retrack with the (dreadful) new trains, I am hearing some quite bad things.

I’m not sure how it’s running this year, but I thought it was a really solid ride last year and certainly miles (miles!) ahead of Wicker Man. Its biggest problem is inevitably being compared to the original ride when it was at its peak- it doesn’t reach those lofty heights.

I don’t prescribe to the prevailing hate of the Timberliner trains, in fact I think they’re pretty good for modern articulated trains. The backwards seat is quite the experience too.

I’m not sure how it’s running this year, but I thought it was a really solid ride last year and certainly miles (miles!) ahead of Wicker Man. Its biggest problem is inevitably being compared to the original ride when it was at its peak- it doesn’t reach those lofty heights.

I don’t prescribe to the prevailing hate of the Timberliner trains, in fact I think they’re pretty good for modern articulated trains. The backwards seat is quite the experience too.
Well hopefully I'll be impressed. I can't stand the clasp restraints as every jolt is horrible.

TdZ was in my top ten for a while many moons back, but a few folk I know have done T2Z and said it's poor. At least WM and GCIs in Europe are comfy!

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The stunt show is very unique, the magic show not so much. I’d actually recommend most of the shows other than the diving show and magic show which aren’t as unique as the others.

Lunch in the restaurant formed of vegetables facing the lake is nice if you can sit outside- get the wild boar terrine starter. It’s more than enough for lunch with a small glass of wine.

Avoid Goudirix, it’s not good.

Make sure you visit the Asterix village in the centre of the park and see the characters. The nearby boat ride is also a delight.

If you want to do a lot you’re probably going to have to invest in a Fastpass. It’s normally a busy park on Saturday. If you do use Fastpass the usual rules apply - head straight for the rides that don’t have it first or if you’re wanting to ride more than once with a single user Fastpass, go to those rides. I don’t believe that boat ride I mentioned nor the monorail are Fastpass rides, so perhaps one’s to head to - the little monorail in particular can get busy due to low throughout. The vintage car ride also has some interesting scenes.

The sky bar offers some great views if you have time for it too. There’s not often too large a wait due to needing to buy an overpriced drink to ride.

Finally, if you’re not familiar with Asterix, watch some of the films. I enjoy the older ones which are on YouTube, but you can also get the modern films using cgi on Amazon prime. They’re all enjoyable.

Really enjoyed Parc Asterix. Solid theming, consistent music, roaming characters, lots of shows and a varied ride line up.

Toutatis was down all day which was incredibly frustrating. They were definitely trying their best to get it open, could see techies inspecting it all day. That spike element "lived rent free in my head". Could see it from all over the park and we were constantly looking at it in hope of a test run. Tested a few times but didn't open.

The park was very busy and the €10 fast passes had sold out. Oziris had averaged 70 mins, Tonnerre 2 Zeus 140 mins, Pegasus Express 60 mins.

Goudurix 60 mins 😂

Oziris is superb. The highlight though was a backwards ride on Tonnerre 2 Zeus.

I'd had Asterix on the radar for many years but was holding out for Toutatis, so I can't help but feel it was a wasted journey. But it's a brilliant theme park and I've certainly had worse Saturdays!

Stopped by the other week after a day at DLP.

Absolutely loved Toutatis, but loved Oziris almost as much. In fact, liked every major coaster we did (Tonnerre 2 Zeus was shut all day).

We got the fastpass package that gave us 10 rides each and did not regret it - think it was €45 each or something like that. Would not have gotten on many rides without it.

Great park and excited to go back!

I'm going on a Thursday in a fortnight, staying on-site the night prior. Have been keeping an eye on queue times like an excitable hawk and definitely getting 'Nemesis in 94' VIBES from the obvious attendance spike. I will be hoofing it through the park right after breakfast!

I was on park yesterday after staying in Cité Suspendue. Hotel guests get early access to selected rides on the left side of the park but CANNOT get across to the other side, including Toutatis. The park was dead (weather was dreadful) and Toutatis opened late so it hardly mattered but at rope drop the day guests got to Toutatis before we could

On a busy day, getting on T2Z and DiscObelix with no queue would be a huge advantage