• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Trip Planning 2023/24: Information, advice and questions!

What is the drive like from Calais down to Europa Park? I’m in the North East and just trying to work out the most cost efficient way for a family of four to get to the park and I’m thinking that going through the tunnel might be the best way (the price of the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry is astronomical). My wife would be driving as I don’t drive but she’s a little bit worried about driving a UK car on the other side of the road in Europe, so how straightforward is the drive? Also is it pretty simple to add on a trip to Phantasialand as well in terms of driving and sticking to motorways rather than going through towns?
The drive from Calais to Europa-Park via the French autoroute is an absolute breeze. Both the A26 and A4 are excellent, smooth and congestion is rare. Tolls are €55 each way.

The motorways via Belgium/Germany/Luxembourg are vastly inferior, busier and more convoluted. Adding Phantasialand is possible but if stress-free driving is what you want this time, I would leave it for the future when you're more confident.

There are theme park options somewhat between Calais and EP though. Nigloland is an absolute delight and Fraispertuis City is cute, if small.

Feel free to ask any further questions.

What is the drive like from Calais down to Europa Park? I’m in the North East and just trying to work out the most cost efficient way for a family of four to get to the park and I’m thinking that going through the tunnel might be the best way (the price of the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry is astronomical). My wife would be driving as I don’t drive but she’s a little bit worried about driving a UK car on the other side of the road in Europe, so how straightforward is the drive? Also is it pretty simple to add on a trip to Phantasialand as well in terms of driving and sticking to motorways rather than going through towns?
I think Dan has summed it up quite nicely, but I just wanted to add that I was anxious the first time, but once your on the French motorway, your wife will be fine. I think my wife gets more anxious in the passenger seat than I do driving these days.

There is plenty of services on the French Motorways, so if your wife wanted to do a short stint, take a break, and then carry on, that is possible.

I would say the hardest thing about driving in France is sticking the stickers on the front lights in the correct place. Luckily my car allows me to change them in the settings, so I don't need to worry about that anymore. If your using CarPlay or Android version, you can update the settings to use KMs as well.

Coming from the North East, it might make sense to stop in a hotel near Folkstone and then get an early train so your wife is driving for the first time in the daylight rather than night time.

I would recommend getting one of the toll tags, which means you don't need to mess around with paying at the tolls, and can skip the queues if there is any, and it does save around 20-30 minutes from your journey.

There's a Holiday Inn right at the Eurotunnel terminal in Coquelles. I actually prefer crossing around 9 or 10pm then immediately getting to the hotel. The reason being is you lose an hour. If you cross in the morning, say 8am, you don't arrive till nearer 10am local time and you feel like the day has escaped you.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

EP is a long drive from the UK for just one person. It's by no means difficult - the French toll motorways are far quieter than most UK roads - but it shouldn't be underestimated, especially if you also have a long drive in the UK.

Any recommendations as to the best local shuttle service from Basel Airport to EP these days? Haven't made this particular trip in a decade, and the resort themselves recommend Sixt, who are coming in with outrageous prices.

Edit: never mind, the park are still running this service for resort guests. And at around the price that I'd anticipated.

There's a Holiday Inn right at the Eurotunnel terminal in Coquelles. I actually prefer crossing around 9 or 10pm then immediately getting to the hotel. The reason being is you lose an hour. If you cross in the morning, say 8am, you don't arrive till nearer 10am local time and you feel like the day has escaped you.

Any recommendations for hotels France side of the channel? Ideally in a safe area or secure parking as we would have a roof box on the car, is the Holiday Inn mentioned in an okay area?

Any recommendations for hotels France side of the channel? Ideally in a safe area or secure parking as we would have a roof box on the car, is the Holiday Inn mentioned in an okay area?
We have stopped at the Holiday Inn Calais (Street Parking) and Holiday Inn - Coquelles, B&B Hotel Saint-Quentin and the Holiday Inn Express Ringsheim with a roof box and not had any issue at any. We have done three journeys with a roof box now, with our fourth in May.

When driving home last year, we stopped at a service on the way home, and left the car out of sight and unattended. When heading back across boarder control, we got asked if we had left the car unattended and out of sight, and when we answered yes, they then asked if we had checked inside the roof box before we set off, which we said no, and this meant that we had to join a queue, and spend ten minutes having the roof box searched. Luckily we did not have to empty it, it was just a case of checking no one had climbed inside, so just something to keep in mind, if you do stop, just give the roof box a quick check before you head to boarder control, as it will save you ten minutes queuing for it to be double checked.

So the weather forecast for next week, when I'm due to go to EP, is looking pretty bad - rain showers every single day, plus a little bit of thunder...

Should I be worried about rides not running, or is EP mostly unaffected by weather?

We stayed at the below hotel last year. Which was cheap and cheerful.
Sure Hotel by Best Western Calais Coquelles Tunnel s/ Manche, Coquelles​

So the weather forecast for next week, when I'm due to go to EP, is looking pretty bad - rain showers every single day, plus a little bit of thunder...

Should I be worried about rides not running, or is EP mostly unaffected by weather?

Some of the rides will close in sever weather, but general drizzle is unlikely to close any of the rides. There are of course plenty of indoor attractions, places to eat and drink and shows. EP is therefore probably one of the easiest parks to navigate in the rain and remain comfortable.

The other thing Id say is that it’s not unusual for the forecast to be wrong. We’ve often visited with a bad forecast, only for the weather to be far better than forecast.

Some of the rides will close in sever weather, but general drizzle is unlikely to close any of the rides. There are of course plenty of indoor attractions, places to eat and drink and shows. EP is therefore probably one of the easiest parks to navigate in the rain and remain comfortable.

The other thing Id say is that it’s not unusual for the forecast to be wrong. We’ve often visited with a bad forecast, only for the weather to be far better than forecast.
This is a real positive, thank you! Was super worried the weather was going to absolutely ruin the trip, but thankfully I think there's only one day with severe weather (thunderstorms) predicted. Will just be packing waterproofs...

This is a real positive, thank you! Was super worried the weather was going to absolutely ruin the trip, but thankfully I think there's only one day with severe weather (thunderstorms) predicted. Will just be packing waterproofs...

Rulantica that day maybe? Or are you not doing it?

Rulantica that day maybe? Or are you not doing it?
Rutlantica is in the plans - partner isn't a big fan of swimming so will be sticking to just the one day! Unfortunetly just double checked and there's potentially three days with thunderstorms - hopefully the weather forecast isn't entirely correct on that.

Rutlantica is in the plans - partner isn't a big fan of swimming so will be sticking to just the one day! Unfortunetly just double checked and there's potentially three days with thunderstorms - hopefully the weather forecast isn't entirely correct on that.
Hope you've booked Hyggedal if your partner isn't keen on water.

Recommended!

Thunderstorms in Rust aren't uncommon, especially later in the day. I'm there next week also and the forecast seems to be changing every day at the moment, so just hoping for the best! Rides will obviously close during storms, but other than that they'll generally all keep operating.

Typically this week and the weekend look lovely.

Hi All

We are going on our first trip to Europa park on the 26th May for half. Three nights here then the train to Phantasialand for two nights also.
We are staying in the hotel Colleseo have just checked in and we were discussing meals and where to book. The park at present is saying 6pm ride close is this likely to be extended?
Also is there any recommendations on evenings to eat and entertainment to watch?

We are a family of 4, kids are 14 and 11

Thanks
Lee

Your stay is in the middle of school holiday in Baden-Württemberg, so be prepared that the park will be rather full, depending on weather. Accordingly the evening hours will probably be extended to 7 or 7.30.
For the evenings I recommend using the infrastructure of the EP hotels. You can use all pools and wellness areas and the fitness center, you can eat at the restaurants (but I recommend reserving in advance to be sure to get a place), which are not cheap, but good. You could go over to Rulantica for one evening, either just visiting the Kronasar hotel with pool etc., or you could add an evening ticket for Rulantic itself, or try Yullbe. Also there are current movies to watch at the Magic Cinema in the Park. So I think you will have enough choice of entertainment. You find it all on the Website. Have a nice stay!

Hi All

We are going on our first trip to Europa park on the 26th May for half. Three nights here then the train to Phantasialand for two nights also.
We are staying in the hotel Colleseo have just checked in and we were discussing meals and where to book. The park at present is saying 6pm ride close is this likely to be extended?
Also is there any recommendations on evenings to eat and entertainment to watch?

We are a family of 4, kids are 14 and 11

Thanks
Lee
Book silver lake saloon! Great Western vibe!