• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which of these UK solo trips sounds best?

Which of these UK solo trips sounds best?

• Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You know what Matt, sometimes in life there comes a point where you have to just say to people something like “Thank you for your concern and I know that you care, but I’m 20 years old and I feel confident that I can do this so I’m going to go ahead and do it”.

You are clearly a capable intelligent young guy that puts a lot of planning and thought in to what you do. Your parents sound like they might be holding you back somewhat and knocking your confidence by thinking that you are less capable than you are, even though they mean well.

I echo what's been said Matt. You're 20 mate and very wise and intelligent. I know that times change but I went all over the country with my mates from 15, moved out to a town 35 miles away at 19 and my mum didn't even notice for 3 months until I came back for some more stuff and she asked if I still lived there or not. My partner lived with me and was pregnant with our first son at 20.

If an irresponsible idiot like me can do all that, I'm sure someone as thoughtful and intelligent as you can get a bloody train to Southend on your own!

Are your parents a little over-protective generally or do you have any health issues that might cause them to be concerned? Not prying and no obligation or pressure to divulge anything personal but i do recall you mention you were learning to drive so presumably your parents are comfortable with the level of independence that creates?

We really don't know the individual circumstances here, and Matt is big enough to make his own decisions after taking parental advice.
We only see a small slice of this verbose, kind thoosies life.
But again Matt, in the words of Steve Winwood.
Do what you like.
Back on topic, and a rare non vote from me.
Yarmouth, via Thorpe and Chessingon , presuming you have a pass.

I’m not actually too sure where my parents’ specific concerns with me staying in a hotel alone lie, so I might suss that out. I can’t allay their concerns if I don’t know exactly what they are. Based on our conversation last night, part of me almost seemed to think they were more worried about me being lonely in a hotel on my own than they were about my actual ability to do such a trip. I’ve never been bothered by being on my own and being in my own company, and I am more than content doing things on my own, but my parents have often seemed more bothered by the idea of me not doing certain things with company. With that being said, that is a theory of mine based on our conversation last night rather than something I actually 100% know they’re concerned about.

In case it’s a relevant detail, I should state that I am autistic, which may complicate matters in some ways.

One thing I know for sure, however, is that my parents had specific concerns about my idea of going to Southend. They felt that it was too far, that it was an overly complicated train journey and that Southend was “one of the grottiest, chavviest places in the country” (their words, not mine). I can understand their concerns about distance and the complicated train journey with changes in Central London. Rightly or wrongly, they’ve always been a bit concerned by the idea of me going to places they perceive as “rough” or “chavvy” alone. As an example, when I broached the idea of going on a solo venture on the train and bus to Brean Theme Park last September, my mum offered to take me because she “didn’t like the idea of [me] going to Brean alone”. With this in mind, I think it’s only fair that I put a pin in the idea of going to Southend specifically.

With plenty of people telling me that going to Legoland alone would not be as totally shameful as I fear, I am increasingly coming around to the idea of doing a Thorpe/Legoland overnighter instead. Legoland is closer to home than Adventure Island, near to Thorpe, and a lot more well linked with Staines/Thorpe on public transport. They also have a new non-kiddie +2 for 2024 in the form of Minifigure Speedway!

I should also clarify that contrary to some people’s belief, this would not be my first solo trip full stop. I’ve done three solo days at Thorpe when my parents have gone to Wentworth for the day and dropped me off, and I even did a solo day trip to Drayton Manor on the train in 2022. I also take the train alone a couple of times a week to go to university, and I take the bus alone to get to university at least once a week to get from my house to my local train station. The main new aspect here is the overnight stay aspect, as well as the public transport to parks I’ve never done via public transport before.

As a father of 2 teenagers, last time I checked the age of consent was 16, to get a driving license was 17, and the legal age of an adult was 18 (@pluk will correct me on this if I'm wrong, but isn't the age of criminal responsibility set at 14?).

So therefore, your responsibility should be accepting your parents rules whilst they kindly provide you with a house to live in. And I advise you do that, as there's nothing more annoying than a grown adult eating you out of house and home and generally being a bit of a tosser. I'll gladly provide a roof over the head of my babies until they can afford to buy a place of their own. As long as they don't eat my Pickled Onion Monster Munch. That and my Laughing Cow cheese triangles. Those are red lines for me.

But if they're over 18, don't eat my Monster Munch, leave my PlayStation controller alone, and don't walk in on me and Mrs GC whilst we're.... having a cuddle...... I can't control what they do once they're 18.

If you want to go to Southend, then go to Southend. If you don't like it, then get on a train back. I don't see the problem here? If my 15 year old told me he wanted to go to Southend rather than Staines of inner city London, I'd actually be relieved!

Southend was “one of the grottiest, chavviest places in the country”

I did laugh at this. I mean, they're not wrong to a degree but in terms of the trip you're proposing i can think of far worse places to visit in the UK and as a daytime trip it's completely safe. Busy and full of families with young children. The park/city does get full of teenagers as the day goes on so i would suggest if you do end up making the trip at some point it's better to go early.

And honestly, if you arrive at opening (11am) you will have been on every ride by about noon as there are typically no queues for anything. My son loves Rage and we went on 6 times in under 15 minutes recently, which was a bit much for me but a good example. He's autistic (with various other complications) and unable to queue so in that sense it's the perfect park for us, we arrive at opening, he's been on everything he wants multiple times by 1230 then we have lunch and go home satisfied. It's the Anti-Alton Towers in that sense!

In terms of the overnight aspect, i can emphasise with your parents concerns so perhaps it would be better to try something that all parties feel more comfortable with initially. You could stay overnight somewhere more local or you could stay onsite at Legoland/TP as i imagine your parents at least would feel more relaxed about you being onsite at a theme park you all know?

If you feel confident in doing such a trip then do it anyway. Just book everything then tell your parents your going (and of course ask for a lift to the train station too 😂). That’s kind of the way I used to work when I was younger or just went somewhere and said I will be back whenever…

Haven't Mr and Mrs N also been to Brean? Grotty and chavvy doesn't even cut it for Brean!
I'm sure they've Brean and gone in the past
Yes, my mum took me to Brean last year. Interestingly, my parents are only concerned about me going to places they perceive as “dodgy” alone; if one or both of them are with me, it becomes better in their mind. Hence why my mum very kindly drove me to Brean last September when I originally broached the idea of going alone on the train and bus. Brean is quite a bit less of a transport ordeal than Southend, though, as we only live 52 miles and around an hour from Brean Theme Park by car. Whereas, we live 188 miles and over 3 hours from Adventure Island by car.

Interestingly, Brean Sands was also the venue of our first and last family camping trip back in about 2011. We went with my aunt, uncle and cousins, and during that trip, I remember us going to nearby Weston-super-Mare for the day. When we wanted lunch, I remember my mum said “Why don’t we go in Wetherspoon’s?”, so we all walked in… and the restaurant suddenly went silent and everyone in there started staring at us. My mum and dad then exchanged worried glances and rapidly ushered us all back out again…

I think that type of experience is kind of what my parents associate with many seaside towns in Britain… on a side note, that was also the only time we ever went on a camping holiday!
If you feel confident in doing such a trip then do it anyway. Just book everything then tell your parents your going (and of course ask for a lift to the train station too 😂). That’s kind of the way I used to work when I was younger or just went somewhere and said I will be back whenever…
Even if I wanted to do that, I’m not sure that would work. Find my iPhone gives my parents the ability to see and track where I am and I would probably get worried text messages asking why I was headed somewhere. I’m on a separate Apple ID to my parents now, but my dad added me as a “friend” on Find my iPhone, so is still able to track me.

I know for a fact that my parents use this tracking functionality quite frequently. They use it when my sister comes home on the train from Cardiff to check how close she is (although my sister recently changed to a Samsung phone, so they can’t do it with her anymore), and they sometimes use it with me to check where I am on my journey home from university in Cheltenham. It also works both ways; for example, my mum sometimes asks me to use it on my dad to see whether he’s on his way home from work yet.

Last edited:
Jesus wept Matt, this has suddenly taken a dark turn! Phone trackers? This sounds like a George Orwell novel! I don't even track my 13 and 15 year olds when they're out, and I actually have a 100% parental right to do so because both are my property (which I regularly remind them) until they are 18.

I get the worry and parental concern. I don't think about anything else when my babies are out. I live in the grotty seaside town you just mentioned. I was practically running down the platform like a mother during the countryside evacuations of the second world war when I put my little man on the train to town to meet up with his mates. Worried sick and text him every hour. But I have to let go a bit for his own good.

The Spoons you mentioned was probably the Dragon? I'm a local and they'd turn round and stare at me if I walked in there. I can't imagine they would have done that in the Cabot, although I haven't been in either for years. Tell Mr and Mrs N that a weird middle aged local from the internet told you to get yourself some grub from The Summerhouse in Worle on your way back to the M5 next time. Great food in there and no dodgy staring.